Oracle sues SAP, TomorrowNow, et al

DSauve

DSauve

Legendary Poster
I see that Oracle has sued SAP, TomorrowNow and others for allegedly downloading Oracle material from the Customer Connection. For Oracle's official complaint, go to www.oracle.com and follow the link "Oracle Sues SAP".

Have ya read that thing - OUCH for those customer that took the safe
passage... I think they need to put a rush on the floating boat through
the passage, before the waves start rolling in!

If I lived in Bryan Texas, or called that my home office, I be re-thinking a
few ambitions right now.

I have the numbers of a couple really great recruiters - if anyone is
looking
:)

(db)

--

Re: Oracle sues SAP, TomorrowNow, et al *DELETED*

Post deleted by Robert Robinson

that media object got really messed up... wanna try again?

(db)

WOW
grin.gif

When will I learn (no responses from the CrackBerry, no responses from the CrackBerry)...

Actually this is what SAP is saying...

My original thoughts were:

"My old co went to TomorrowNow. We requested the code that we were due from Oracle, but I could not help by wonder what chicanery could be pulled by, ah, unsavory forces. Now, I guess we know..."

I'm sure there are more than a few SAP employees throwing up in their wastebasket right about now - because you know there will be some folks getting sacked over this. I can hear SAP management now "We didn't know they were doing that! Fire the lot of them!"

Wow.

If any company that was about to become an SAP TN customer is worried - I'll be happy to show a much better, far cheaper alternative remote support system. I really pity those companies who tied their wagon to SAP TN (TomorrowNow) - I think this lawsuit has a LOT of meat behind it, and I'd guess that SAP will agree to dissolve the company as an out-of-court settlement.

It was only a matter of time before this occurred. SAP has no business "supporting" JDE/Peoplesoft companies this way.

I guess I shouldn't plan on visiting the TomorrowNow booth at the Collaborate conference, huh?

LOL !

Actually, TomorrowNow were officially told a couple of years back "don't come to our conferences anymore" since they're an obvious competitor to JDE ! Just for those of you that didn't understand Gregs' little joke there.

How IS TomorrowNows' largest customer faring through this bad news ?

SURE you can visit the TomorrowNow booth; just remember to buy plenty of tickets (the booth will actually be a dunk tank)...

Hi Jon

I had to laugh at last year's Quest conference. I didn't see TomorrowNow, but I did see a big booth for SAP. That was unexpected.

Ooooooooh...
SAP is listed as having a vendor booth this year. Will it still be there, or will it suffer one of those old "Vegas style disappearances"?

As old Nor Cal folks say about their earthquakes (also works for this litigation): "The shift has (finally) hit the land"...

You have to remember what Quest is now...Collaborate. The Oracle technology groups are there, and SAP can run on Oracle databases. So....

I don't think the suit is going to affect (too much) their existing business relationships. I'm almost positive SAP has Oracle database licenses on their books, etc., and this is aimed squarely at the TomorrowNow "support poaching" business which, of course, is meant to offer the "safe passage" to SAP ERP software.

No Charles

Oracle Openworld is the Technology conference. Collaborate is between the Quest User Group (JDE Independent user group) and Oracle Application User Group - its not really Database or other Oracle products driven at all. Of course, Oracle will be there selling all their software - but Quest indeed has the ability to prevent a company from attending. They did this with Tomorrownow - and others. I was also surprised that SAP was there last year and is listed this year too.

Now, at Openworld, both SAP and TomorrowNow can have a stand since both support Oracles products. However, I'm not sure its in either companies best interest right now, specifically with this lawsuit hovering over them !

No Jon

Collaborate is between the IOUG (Independent Oracle User Group) OAUG (Oracle Applications User Group) and Quest (JDE *AND* PeopleSoft applications independent user groups).

http://www.ioug.org/

The Independent Oracle Users Group is solely a technical group . We even have a DBA going to present on Oracle RMAN backup at this years event. He doesn't know anything about JDE and isn't the least bit interested in Oracle Applications (eBusiness Suite).

Considering this is a collection of independent bodies, it makes *more* sense for there to be an SAP booth at the Collaborate event, although there is probably room for them at both.

Oracle OpenWorld is much, much more than "the Technical conference". It is the megalithic all-things-Oracle show. Now it will include Oracle, PeopleSoft, JD Edwards, Retek, Siebel and Hyperion applications, along with the technical offerings.

Charles,

The thing that surprised me about the SAP booth was that they were pitching Dreamweaver. A direct competitor to Fusion middleware. They said they were there because most SAP customers use Oracle as their database, but they were marketing Dreamweaver. Curious.

As for your other comment, TN is an autonomous business providing support. They have never bugged us about changing over to SAP. That's a common misconception.

I'm sure they haven't, Gregg.

*My Opinion*: If they haven't bugged you, its probably because they know they have you where they want you. Oracle knows this too. By dropping support, you're either going to stay on the same release forever, or implement an alternative solution. The problem with dropping support is that if you try to go back, Oracle is going to hit you hard with a massive "backpayment" bill, starting from the time you dropped support in the first place. Of course, everything is negotiable.

I don't have a beef with TomorrowNow (SAP TN), as a matter of fact they offer a good service under the right circumstances. (Pending litigation notwithstanding). For instance, say you want to upgrade to a new release but your current release is dropping support soon; in this instance you may want to supplement your existing application with third party support (any number of vendors, including Jon Steel's group, offer this) while you're planning your next upgrade.

*My Opinion*: (and mine only): Ultimately, SAP wouldn't have the TN business if it weren't for the potential customer aquisition aspect. It wouldn't make any business sense other than to hedge their bets (which would be to admit defeat in some investors eyes).

[ QUOTE ]

Collaborate is between the IOUG (Independent Oracle User Group) OAUG (Oracle Applications User Group) and Quest (JDE *AND* PeopleSoft applications independent user groups)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats new for this year I believe. Certainly the year before last, it was only the OAUG and Quest - I thought last year was the same too.

Thats weird that they would throw in the Technical stuff - especially since they have "Openworld" or whatever that monstrosity of an Oracle only conference is ! I'd obviously expect technical companies with products for Oracle Applications and JDE/PSFT to be present - but a specific Oracle Database item ? Well since Oracle Apps are 100% based on Oracle DB, I guess there'll be enough prospective customers !

I think they should put Quest back into creating "Focus" again, making it JUST JDE World/EnterpriseOne and Peoplesoft Enterprise and basing it back in Denver. The only reason that had an issue a few years back was because JDE was under PSFT and PSFT sat there and banned Peoplesoft corporate employees from going to the conference. It was still a great conference even though 1/6th the number of customers turned up.

Hey Jon,
IOUG was part of Collaborate last year. The reason for the groups doing things together is at Oracle's request. They can support only so many customer events so by 'collaborating' we get more Oracle folks in attendance.
For example, having Charles Phillips as a keynote speaker.

And this may not be public knowledge but guess where Collaborate is next year? Hint - begins with a D.

Sue Shaw
Quest EnterpriseOne Advocacy Director
(lurker on jdelist)

Back