Renaming Client Workstation

KENNEY

Well Known Member
When we install an EOne FAT client, the licence is allocated based on the clients computer name. Occasionally we encounter situations where the PC must be renamed to meet some standards.
If we simply rename the PC, they are prompted to re-license the machine when they login into EOne.
The only work around we have come up with is to uninstall EOne with the computer still running under the old name and then renaming the PC and re-installing EOne.

Can anyone suggest an alternative to this approach.

Nope - thats it !

However, the license issue isn't that big of a deal - the deployment server keeps a "count" of licenses - but if the license is renewed on the deployment server, then the license count goes back to the entered amount. Since you can now download the SPC Self Service application from the knowledge garden, you can generate your own licenses without necessarily calling JDE/Oracle anymore.

However, if you are really concerned, then yes, you need to uninstall before renaming your workstations/citrix boxes.

Just a little spin on the uninstallation theme. What I used to do is use VMWare workstation and keep a snapshot of an installed full client. Then whenever I needed to uninstlall, I'd restore the snapshot of the installed PC, rename the virtual PC and uninstall JDE. The whole process takes only a couple of minutes.

I guess.....however I think its best to keep the SPC Code Generator sitting on your desktop - just in case !

this happen because at final stage of installation it do license file conf' which takes old name of machine. Just try with deleting the security file (jdeauth,jdesec,jdeclt) from fat client and then try to login. it will prompt the "security violation", do get auth. let see if this helps at all.

KENNEY <[email protected]> wrote:
When we install an EOne FAT client, the licence is allocated based on the clients computer name. Occasionally we encounter situations where the PC must be renamed to meet some standards.
If we simply rename the PC, they are prompted to re-license the machine when they login into EOne.
The only work around we have come up with is to uninstall EOne with the computer still running under the old name and then renaming the PC and re-installing EOne.

Can anyone suggest an alternative to this approach. ERP 8.0 SP 22 , AIX 5.2 , Oracle 9.0 Websphere 4.0.5 Michael Kenney University of Windsor

Back