[SOT] - Acrobat Not Opening PDF from the Web

DBohner-(db)

Legendary Poster
Slightly Off Topic....

I have one machine, where the user attempts to open a PDF from "Submitted Jobs" and gets an Acrobat Error stating that "There was an error opening this document. The file cannot be found"...

However - if I log in as the user (or any other user) on any other machine, I can bring up the PDF. The issue appears to be directly related to the Acrobat Installation on the user's PC.

As an effort to resolve, we've tried uninstalling Acrobat Reader and Re-installing (with no affect).

That said - is anyone aware of a possible fix for this?

(db)

I had been hoping for a quick fix (and I found one)...

In our issue - deleting the temporary (and offline) files, resolved the issue. Scrambling through Googler(I have to support the locals this week) I found the following:
====================================================
2/21/2007    -   Error "There was an error opening this document. The file cannot be found" when attempting to export to a PDF file.
PROBLEM: Error "There was an error opening this document. The file cannot be found" when attempting to export to a PDF file.

CAUSE: If a previous PDF is generated (i.e. printing multiple letters to PDF) and halts and does not complete, the PDF mechanism can get stuck, and refuse to generate future PDFs.

SOLUTION: In Internet Explorer, go to Tools->Internet Options, and click Delete Cookies and Delete Files (temporary and offline files).

========================
Another thought to the cause - the Temp/Offline Folder size may have been set for a size 'bigger' than available Disk space (gophigure)

Prob resolved; knowing is have the battle!

(db)

FYI - another cause that I've seen is when the PC in question has a download manager installed on it. This can sometimes hoke up the PDF display process as well as displaying logs, etc.

Temp files sounds like a good idea. Also try repairing Adobe in the Add/Remove Programs. You can repair any application that was installed using the Windows Installer service as long as the install files are still in the same location (i.e. network installation)

Back