How can a developer generate web objects from his fat client?

FNorelli

FNorelli

Well Known Member
I have a developer who is making many form changes. Rather than have a package built, deployed to the web server, then serialized (web generated) by the CNC team, the developer wants to serialize his local specs for testing. During Oracle Open World I heard that a developer could install WebSphere light on his workstation to do this, but I did not catch what release that functionality is available. I searched the PeopleSoft site for a whole day and did not find anything on this topic. Please advise or forward me any kind of documentation you have on generating serialized objects locally. Thanks,

Any fat client can be configured to do an eGeneration. In 8.11, the developers workstation installation will use WebSphere Express (or optionally an OAS derivative, I've heard) to automatically gen and open the application locally for testing. It's called a "WebDev Client". What version are you on?

You should be able to find the guide that matches you Tools Release level. Look for something called "Web Development Client Installation and Configuration Guide." I've attached a list of tips I put together a while ago.

Attachments

• 118430-Web Development Client Tips.doc
    28 KB · Views: 175
So far, so good. I have the Web Development clients setup and users are able to ShowHTML. Question: when a developer makes a change at his local workstation, does a local generation need to be done, and if so, then doesn't a local web generator have to be setup?

Hi Fred,

A web dev client has the generator installed with it. It's been a while since I've played with a web dev client, but I believe it will generate the object every time you run it from within OMW.

Back