operating system

maarten westera

maarten westera

is there anyone out there running JDE XE sp 23 or below on windows 2000 _ JDE no longer support this officially but i can't believe there are'nt loads of users running this configuration - if you do do you have any issues ???

Hi,

We were running Xe SP23 on Windows 2000 until last
December. It was pretty stable except for package
building that used to crash quite often, so we were
finally building our packages from a fat workstation
with XP Professional SP2.
Package unstability was solved after upgrading our
server to W2003 Server SP1.

We're Xe SP22 on a mixture of win2000 and win2003. No great problems apart from memory leakage on the web servers but an overnight restart of the instances sorts that.

We're on Xe, SP 23, Update 3, using W2K for our Citrix servers.

I'm not sure what you mean by "JDE no longer support this officially." From what I can tell, JDE doesn't support recent OS releases (because by the time they certify something new, that something is no longer new), and now they're not supporting older ones, either? Exactly what configurations do they support?

From what I recall, Xe is supported indefinitely. I don't remember anyone mentioning that I had to be on Service Pack X or Operating System Y. Can you please provide some clarification as to exactly what you meant by "JDE no longer support this officially?"

[ QUOTE ]
From what I can tell, JDE doesn't support recent OS releases (because by the time they certify something new, that something is no longer new), and now they're not supporting older ones, either? Exactly what configurations do they support?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oracle doesn't support Operating Systems which aren't supported by the OS Vendor. Windows 2000 moved into "Extended Support" in July, 2005.

If you want to know what is supported go here:

http://www.peoplesoft.com/corp/en/iou/platforms/enterpriseone.jsp

Windows 2003 is supported by Oracle for E1 (Xe, 8.0 and 8.9-8.12). This support began with Xe SP22 and Windows 2003 SP1 was supported as of SP23. Citrix is an option, but it is *not* supported or certified directly by Oracle:

"Note: Citrix is a member of the Oracle Applications Integration Initiative. Citrix will certify compatibility with E1. Please contact Citrix for compatibility."

Sebastian,

Thanks, we're aware of Microsoft's policy on W2K.

We've had this discussion with JDE (or Peoplesoft or Oracle) regarding platforms, because for at least one support incident, the suggestion was that we upgrade our OS is we wanted JDE to address our issue (must have been PSFT at the time -- even Oracle isn't that arrogant). That, of course, is nonsense.

When we installed Xe Update 1, and later when we applied Update 3, W2K was the recommended, required and supported platform. So, are you suggesting that even though we've changed absolutely nothing, that our configuration is no longer supported simply because Microsoft release a new OS?

[ QUOTE ]
So, are you suggesting that even though we've changed absolutely nothing, that our configuration is no longer supported simply because Microsoft release a new OS?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that is exactly what you should do. It isn't nonsense at all. Almost every product comes with a limited warranty of some sort, and regardless of whether you use the product or not, the warranty usually expires.

JDE support XE but only with sp23 on windows 2003 server for both enterprise citrix depolyement or webservers

they will do what they can if you have issues but the first thing they are likely to tell you is to upgrade

check the MTR on the KG

That's right this is the exact same situation we're in

in fact when we installed jde it was on win2ksp 2 so we're even reluctant to update to sp4 in case it goes wrong and we have no support

it is total madness - don't even get me started

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So, are you suggesting that even though we've changed absolutely nothing, that our configuration is no longer supported simply because Microsoft release a new OS?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that is exactly what you should do. It isn't nonsense at all. Almost every product comes with a limited warranty of some sort, and regardless of whether you use the product or not, the warranty usually expires.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like arrogant vendor logic. What about CALS? Microsoft changed their licensing scheme with 2003. Under windows 2000, if a client PC had Win2K, it also had a CAL (Client Access License) for the server. (The citrix CAL is a seperate issue). Under Windows 2003, that is no longer the case. There is a $25 per head charge for client PCs to access a Windows 2003 terminal server. For a shop my size, that's over $80,000 in license fees paid to Microsoft for the priviledge of upgrading my terminal servers to a new OS. Even for a company the size of mine, that's not something to just go out and do.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair North American CNC

Gregg,

Thanks, that's exactly the position my company has taken. We don't upgrade just because a vendor thinks we should -- we upgrade because it makes sense for our business. And how about the the cost in resources (time, money, etc.) it takes to upgrade?

I'm not suggesting that we never upgrade, but we don't do it unless it makes economic and business sense for us, not for Oracle or Microsoft.

Bill,

We're in a slightly different position. We dumped PeopleSoft (and rebuffed Oracle) as our service provider for TomorrowNow. TomorrowNow is not going to tell us "You have to update the OS."

That being said, we are doing it anyway. Our terminal servers are getting old, and we are replacing the hardware and will use Windows 2003 as the OS. As I said in my previous post, a large chunck of the upgrade budget is for Win2k3 CALs. Merry Christmas Redmond. We could have done the upgrade a lot sooner, but the CAL issue forced us into a new budget year and a longer approval cycle. It's the right thing to do, but it needs to be done on the company's schedule. License compliance and budgeting needs to be taken into consideration before rushing off to make an OS change, "just because a vendor told us to."

Gregg

RE W2K SP4, don't be too nervous, we had to do it under the gun when our network was visited by a day-0 exploit. Part of the fix was to go to SP4 everywhere NOW. Since we were effectively dead in the water we had to just go for it. Everything worked perfectly when we flipped the OW switch. Believe it or not we're still on 19.1! SP22/3 any day now, thankfully. And I think we'll stay with W2K due to CAL issues mentioned elsewhere.

Maarten,

Don't sweat the win2k service packs. My lan guys keep current with service packs and updates, it hasn't broken JDE. To feel better, pick one terminal server, upgrade it, wait a week. If you don't see issues, keep going with the rest.

Gregg

Hi,

We are currently on 8.10 SP8.93R1 on Windows 2000. We want to go to 8.10 SP8.96I1.

Should we:

1. Upgrade the OS to Windows 2K3 first and then upgrade SP8.96I1.
2. Upgrade the SP8.96I1 first and then upgrade the OS to Windows 2K3.
3. Upgrade both at the same time.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

We are currently on 8.10 SP8.93R1 on Windows 2000. We want to go to 8.10 SP8.96I1.

Should we:

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Upgrade the OS to Linux
2. Upgrade the application to World
3. Change the database to DB2

Ok - now the real answer - upgrade the OS first. The best way to do that is to either start from scratch with new hardware (that's our approach since our terminal servers are four years old) or blow the server away and load Win2k3 from scratch. It is never a good idea to do a major OS "upgrade." That always leaves junk behind. Service packs and hotfixes are OK, but jumping from Win 2K to Win 2K3 should be clean. Once that is done, then do your JDE upgrade.

Adri,

I would go with OS upgrade first, the tools release second. Just be careful with the ConnectionPooling setting on the application servers when going from W2K to W2K3. I remember having problems with the kernels dying on the application servers on W2K3. It would seem that the tools release does not bother that much with the ConnectionPooling setting on W2K whereas it does when on W2K3.

Just some food for thought,

[ QUOTE ]

Should we:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Adri !

Upgrade the OS to Win2K3 first - then bed in for several weeks until any instabilities are identified and sorted out - then upgrade the service pack.

I certainly wouldn't do two changes at once - since it would be difficult to identify what issues might be affected by what "fix" !

Thanks Guys

That is what I thought but someone did not believe me!!
frown.gif

Back