Journaling-Managing OWJRNL library size on AS400

MagarG

MagarG

VIP Member
Our system has 635GB for total ASP. The journaling library (OWJRNL) is 13.07% or almost 83GB. The library has 748 Objects.

Can we cleanup Journals and have them recreate themselves? Is there a way to control the size of the OWJRNL library or cleanup the library to reduce the size?

Thanks

Grant

Grant,

I would recommend that you get familiar with the Journal Attributes. There are options such as Reciever Size, Manage Receivers, and Delete Receivers that will help you.

Regards,
Doug

After digging around I ended up opening a call with Oracle. According to Oracle, the Journal Receivers are supposed to automatically delete themselves. Ours are not and we had several hundred from when the software was installed. We even recycle the services nightly. The Oracle Rep suggested we only keep a weeks worth of the files so we went back and manually deleted anything that had a SAVED status and a huge amount of disk space was reclaimed. I'll take a look at the atttributes. Thanks.
OWJRNR1740 *JRNRCV Status SAVED
OWJRNR1741 *JRNRCV Status ONLINE
OWJRNR1742 *JRNRCV Status ATTACHED

Grant

MagarG,

Were you able to find anything out on this? We are having the same situation. We keep deleting the saved ones but what a maintenance pain.

Please post anything that may shed some light on this issue.

Thanks

It's on my list to do, in the meantime, I've manually been deleting them.

Looking at the Journal Attributes, there is:

Delete receivers .. *SAME (*SAME, *NO, *YES)

Specifies whether the system deletes journal receivers
when they are no longer needed or leaves them on the
system for the user to delete after they have been
detached by system change-journal management or by a
user-issued CHGJRN command.

*YES

The journal receivers are deleted by the system. To
specify this value, no receivers other than the
currently attached receiver can be in the receiver
directory.

Note: To find out which journal receivers are in the receiver directory, you can view the Work with
Receiver Directory display, which can be accessed
using the Work with Journal Attributes (WRKJRNA)
command.

E811: WRKJRNA JRN(OWJRNL/OW_JRNL)

I haven't tried to change this to *YES until I get more details on the command to run, when I can run it, impact, etc.

Grant

Hi all,

We have the same problem with EONE 8.11 after GOLIVE.

I have open a call with ORACLE and they answer us that the procedure is the same i have read here.

I will follow this procedure:

1)run the command: WRKJRNA JRN(OWJRNL/OW_JRNL) and see the wich is ONLINE receiver. For example: OWJRNR3000
2)run the command: WRKJRNRCV JRNRCV(OWJRNL/*ALL)and delete all receivers except the ONLINE one.

The Oracle customer support, told us, that we can delete de receivers with the services running (Enterprise services E811,WAS and HTTP), that´s true?

My last question, anyone has change the atribute
Delete receivers .. *SAME (*SAME, *NO, *YES) to *YES?

Thans in advance.
Jean Charles

Back