SQL Server - Max Degree Of Parallelism

camo

I recently came across a recommendation to set the SQL Server option "Max degree Of Parallelism" to 1 for installations of JDE. The default in our new SQL 2005 installation is a value of 0.

SQL 2005 Books Online state the following for this option:
"Limits the number of processors (up to a maximum of 64) to use in parallel plan execution. The default value of 0 uses all available processors. A value of 1 suppresses parallel plan generation."

We are on EnterpriseOne 8.12 with TR 8.96_H1
Our database server is dual processor, and it seems like a waste to not let SQL make the most of this.

Anyone have any thoughts / recommendations ?
Thanks in anticipation.

Thanks for the link

actually - I do remember reading this presentation a couple of times before, but I guess I missed the parallelism piece.

I'm not going to quote anything against microsoft when it comes to this - I would guess that if they wrote this up, then they have benchmarks and testing data to support this. I would certainly email Anu Chawla and/or Wanda He - who are marked as authors on this presentation - or at the least contact "[email protected]".

I'm sure that microsoft will be present in Vegas next month at the Quest Global conference. I will certainly be asking them about this. My guess is that JDE's code doesn't create SQL that is complex enough for parallelism to operate - but if you have any external use of the data (through reporting or data warehousing, etc) - then parallelism will work fine. Remember, these presentations are usually centered around benchmarking in a lab - you're going to be running the database with production users and hence your needs are very different.

Back