Nested Processes?

szmyd

szmyd

Well Known Member
We manufacture item A on an on-demand basis via a work order through sales order entry. We are going to start manufacturing a new item, item B, where the ingredient is item A. However, we are still going to manufacture item A as needed for customers. Is it possible to create a master maufacturing process where item A is created and is then used to create item B?

For example, let's say that we manufacture cookie dough that we sell directly to customers. Now, we are going to manufacture cookies for sale using the same cookie dough. I'd like to create one work order that accomplishes both manufacturing steps. I tried setting up a single process, but the system will not allow one where a co-product on one operation is the ingredient on another operation, all in the same process.

If I understand your question correctly, you are using Item A as a component of Item B. You can build a BOM for each item and schedule it so that you will have component A complete before the build for Item B. The system should recognize this relationship as Item A being a child of Item B, if its set up correctly. Are you currently using Bills of Material to manufacture from? Do you have anyone there who is well versed in MRP/MPS? There are a number of things that you need to decide upon (planning and demand) to make this scenario work satisfactorily.

Back