Custom vs Vanilla Menus

szmyd

szmyd

Well Known Member
At our site, our users use a combination of custom menus and JDE vanilla menus. Some of the vanilla menus have been modified without documentation. Both FastPath and Menu Traveling are turned on for a large portion of our user base. As I see it, not only is this a security concern, but also a system integrity and software upgrade concern.

What I would like to ask is are their any customers out there who allow their users to use the vanilla JDE menus? I can see using reporting menus, but what about menus using interactive jobs? Since most interactive jobs reference a version, if the vanilla menus were used, was the processing options behind any ZJDE versions changed?

We do have Custom menus, some with Base-JDE ZJDE versions and some with copies of the versions. We have tried not to change the Demo ZJDE versions. There are JDE programs out there that use Hardcoded Versions in their logic - the Posting Program J09800, for example.
The first thing to do would be to prevent people from adding any more menus - that can be done with Action Code security (No to all security for the *PUBLIC record for program P00908). That being done, you will have to clean up existing Custom Menus from a Security and SOX - Segregation of Duties perspective, if it applies to your environment.

If you use the Vanilla menus and change any of them, by adding new
options or change what versions get called, you will loss these if and
when you do an upgrade to JDE. We clone theirs or create our own menus
to keep changes separate from JDE's.

Jim Rubino
Fike Corporation

Back