Media Objects Into Crystal Reports and Other Questions.

kpopov

Larry,

I really appreciate all the good info you are posting on JDEList.

I'm following your post about including media objects into CR and I am
finding averything fine, except for the ability to include GDTXFT on a
report. I am using CR 10 for PeopleSoft and connecting to the system
(E1 810) using the PeopleSoft driver. CR interprets the field as a
BLOB and when I try to run the report I get an error to the effect
that the data type is not recognized by the XML driver.

And by the way, is there any documentation or a body of knowledge I
can turn to regarding CR for PeopleSoft?

What method of connecting to the JDE data are you using, and what is
the faster yet secure method in your opinion. I have done quite a bit
of CR work connecting to databases using ODBC or OLE DB, but our IT is
very "concerned" about using direct access and the DBA is obviously
not able to provide SQL server views that are "secure enough".

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks,
--Konstantin

Konstantin,

if by "PeopleSoft driver" you are referring to ODA then I'm not surprised. It has so many problems and issues that we long ago decided not to use it. I'm also not convinced that it provides secure access either.

We use direct database access (Oracle's) to access the data.
We secured the Database tables to not be accessible by any accounts but those used by the JDE software. (As shipped there is no database security setup - the database is naked and ready to be raped. Wonder if your IT group "secured" the database or not.)

We then setup database "views" to selected tables and created database "roles" which were granted read access to those views.
User accounts could then be setup and "roles" assigned to them.

Your statement "DBA is obviously not able to provide SQL server views that are 'secure enough'." makes no sense to me. That's part of a DBAs job - why can't he/she do that?

Its a bit of work, but securing your database from external sources is something that MUST be done anyway. Going a few more steps to setup a few database views and a simple access control method isn't all that hard to do. For it you get MUCH better performance and flexibility (try linking more than 3 tables in ODA where one or more of the links must be an outer join).

There's my 2 cents plus. An alternative you could check out is a third party product called JDEDirect. They're advertised on this site.

Konstantin,

I saw your post on JDEList for the media object problem in CR. Did the response you received from Larry Jones resolve your issue. We are having the same issue with the GDTXFT in CR and are trying to resolve it. Any insight you can pass along would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Carl

Back