Creating PRD environment with no data

Robert Robinson

Robert Robinson

Reputable Poster
My new company is going live on 1/1/07. Our host has created our DEV and CRP environments. Now we want to create our production environment with certain data tables blanked out. How do other companies out there do it; copy business data tables from other environments (CRP, PRT?) then remove the data (via SQL - we are on SQL server) or table generation? Please advise.

I think the easiest way to do it will be to copy all your business data tables then use SQL to truncate the tables in one sweep....

Robert

I can think of two methods:

1) Convert from EnterpriseOne to World on your way to SAP
- Oh wait, that was your last shop that wanted to do that, right?

2) we have used your methodology - copy up PY7333 to PD7333 and then make over the top changes to OCMs and datasources. Some business tables we left with data, others we dropped the data. It's more of an art rather than a science.....

Gregg Larkin
Praxair North American CNC

...but when you dropped the data, it was with a SQL script, right?

I was wondering if there is a way to bring blank tables into PRD. I
wonder if this is an option during install..;

Btw: your memory is too good (I am SO seeking to forget the
devolution...)

Re: RE: Creating PRD environment with no data

Viva la Devolution! Viva la Devolution! I can hear the battle cry all the way from the midwest. There is also the traditional approach, you create the new environment on the Deployment server running the installation planner. that will give you a clean slate. If there are certain tables you want populated, you can than do a backup of your PY database, and then import specific tables through SQL. I'm not a DBA, so don't pin me down for specifics.

Going the other direction, I've seen our DBAs clone the whole database, and then use the SQL drop command to drop the data. At other times, I've seen them do a table regeneration to clear things out. Do you have a DBA on staff, or are you it? If you're it, you might want to hire a DBA consultant for a day or two for that process.

Have fun and remember our chant, Viva la Devolution!

Gregg Larkin
Praxair North American System Admin
JDE CNC and Security, Websphere, Tidal, Princeton Softech

If you bring in the tables with data and you truncate them using truncate table Fxxxx for all the tables you want to clear it does the same thing as using JDE to re-generate the tables it is just faster, if you drop the tables then you are actually deleting them from SQL Server, then you will have to regen them from say PY to PD to recreate them empty.

Actually, when the environment is installed, there is an option that allows you to create business tables with no data (except for, say, token data in the F0012). We stumbled into that, but heck, we'll take it...

[ QUOTE ]
... if you drop the tables then you are actually deleting them from SQL Server, then you will have to regen them from say PY to PD to recreate them empty.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I told ya I wasn't a DBA, thanks Cleo! BTW, I like your new signature Robert!

Thank you all for your cards, thoughts and prayers (not for this case, but during the...devolution.)

I have completed my convalescence at "Mother's Home for CNC's Gone Mental" (soup was good, jackets too snug), and as you see, I am ready for the challenge of 8.11 (though I still have the full forced frontal lobe interface issues that you see at the left). However I shan't forget the adventure, as shown in the last line of my personal data (thanks Gregg).

Here's the process.

Since this appears to be a new install then PD should already be there. If PD exists then does it have "junk" data in it? If it's not there then you first need to create the environment.

If the environment existed and has "junk" data (people were playing) in it then you need to wipe out the transactional "junk" data. Once the environment is blank you need to identify the AAI, constant tables, ETC from OY and copy them to PD.

DO NOT copy PY to PD! Why copy PY to PD then truncate 95% of the tables (you have to identify which 5% not to truncate)? Start with 95% of the work done (blank PD) then copy the 5% of table that are constant, AAI's, etc from PY to PD.

To recreate the PD environment you'll have to RTFM (Read-the-freak'in manual).

To blank the environment use the R98403 and just copy the local planner data to PD.

To help in identifying the setup tables I'd strongly advise professional help but if you want to go it alone then at the first few pages of most JDE application manual's it list the key tables used by each application. The tables are listes as either AAI, constant or transactional. You'll need to do this for each module.

Bon Chance,

Colin

To provide an epilogue for those who follow...

We did load Production from CD's (the CDs for production put very little Business Data in PRD). We then performed a "Path Code refresh" i.e. copying Central Objects and Versions from CRP to PRD. Next, we targeted the "changed" Control Tables (UDCs, Task tables, etc)and copied those to PRD. This left us with the production environment we had wanted. Last, we copied the needed Business Data tables. We are now testing the heck out of PRD, and it is looking good. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Back