Cannot locate security server after submitting a full package in PD

edda

Hope you can help. For the last two weeks have been submitting a full package build in PD. Package builds correctly. There are no problems that I can see in the logs on either the deployment server or on the enterprise server. The way we are set up, we don't deploy the package until the next morning after the overnight jobs have run. I then log into a fat client, install the package. At this point, if I try to log in, I cannot as I get a message "waiting for security server".

The only way to log in is to restart the JDE services which I can't at that time as jobs are being scheduled. Has anyone had a similar problem??? The Deployment server is a Win 2003 and the enterprise server is Win 2000 SP4.

Check your client JDE.INI file.
That's the first place you should check when JDE services are running and you're receiving such errors from the client.

Alex

Yes...check you JDE.INI file and compare it to one of a working fat client...if there are differences then verify that the INI file the package is bringing down is correct. It is in the client install folder on your Deployment server, make sure that that file has the correct entries if you package replaces the INI file.

Hi, thanks for the responses. The jde.ini file is as normal showing the correct security server. Also, when I restart the JDE services on the Security Server, I can log in. I can't think of what could be happening at that point. This weekend I will put debug on prior to logging in to see if that tells me something.

Hi,

Is there an overnight process (backups?) that take out / restart the E1 services? Sounds like the services are not stable / started properly overnight. You're able to deploy the package as I assume you do this from the Deployment Server (which has sign on security switched off?)?

Best Regards,

Sanjeev

Hi

No there is no job to restart the services. Usually what would happen is that after I have deployed the package to the enterprises servers, I would then go and restart the services.

This weekend, I had no problems. I am assuming this is because I restarted the servers last weekend and whatever the problems were fixed. I just wish I could understand why this may have happened but it may just be one of those things.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Edda

Edda,

You might have hit upon something. I've experienced issues in the past when deploying production packages with users signed onto the E1 System. Generally this should not be done. I take it there would be no users signed onto the system on the weekend?

Sanj

Hi Sanj

Yes, there are people still logged in when I submit the build. The way they are set up here, I usually kick off the build at 5.00 pm when I am leaving and it takes about three hours. They use Citrix and what they do is they install on a thick client and then copy pathcodes to the Citrix Servers. So at 8.30 pm, I don't deploy to the enterprise servers, what I do is install a fat client and start the copy to the Citrix servers. I kick off another build for the PL environment.

In the morning, I pause any uncompleted overnight jobs, deploy the packages (both PD and PL) to the enterprise servers and restart the services. This completes their package builds. A bit different to what I am used to but it apparently usually works.

For the last two weekends I have not had a problem, since the reboot of the servers, so I am assuming that it was just one of those things - not a problem with JDE.

I guess this issue can be closed but thanks for all the help.

Back