8.11 SP1 running 8.96 Tools

Sid Hathcock

Has anyone seen a list of the tools upgrades that will benefit us for the 8.96 Toolset. We are looking for performance and stability increases (I have seen issues in the forums). We are on SQL2000 8.95 tools all Intel, we are looking for the support for Websphere 6 and SQL2005 support when that comes out. We had heard from Oracle that you had to go to 8.96 for the SQL2005 support because of the JDBC driver support. Our go-live date is 2 months before Microsoft is slated to stop general support on SQL2000, so SQL2005 isn't an option that coupled with IBM no longer supporting Websphere 5.0 we must upgrade the tools. Any advise would be welcome.

The current 8.96 tools still have not been certified with SQL 2K5, that is slated for last quarter this year or 1st Q next. As far as a list of improvements, you can go to the client connection website, under the Implement, Upgrade... link, and see the value proposition and statement of direction documents for 8.96, they can also be obtained in the documentation area under the support link.

I wouldn't worry about the sunset of SQL2K from MS, as it is has been JDPeopOcle's policy to provide support for manufacturer sunsetted software for a year after the manufacturer ends support. With SQL2K, I seriously doubt you'd encounter any issues that aren't already known or have fixes.

As far as tool releases go, my suggestion is never take a tools release prior to the D1 or E1 update, unless there is a severe or "show stopper" issue on the business side. I have seen good things with 8.96_B1, I've seen lots of issues with 8.96_C1, so again, unless your go live is far enough out, or you have multiple foundations and are simply testing, I'd wait for 8.96_D1 or E1 if my hind quarters were on the line for the performance and stability of the system.

That's my two copper coated zinc disc's worth...I could be wrong.

Back