Need upgrade suggestions

m_e_wade

This is a "How would YOU do it". I know there are several approaches we could take, but I would like to get a general consensus on the "best" way.

We have an 8.0 system. Deployment server is on Windows 2000 (SP3) C++ 6.0, Enterprise Server on Windows 2000, SQLServer 2000 C++ 6.0. The desire is to upgrade the system to 8.12, but also upgrade the servers to Windows 2003, and C++ 2003 (or 2005 if it was supported).

Any ideas how to best upgrade OneWorld AND the OS? We do have the permission to either upgrade the existing boxes or buy all new boxes. Of course this is a production environement.

Thanks ahead for any input.

Hey Mike,

Fun question! When we have done this major of an upgrade, we start with new servers. Since you are upgrading OS, Application, supporting applications, and possibly the database, there is no clean way to do all of those upgrades with testing on your current boxes.

1) Buy new boxes with the latest greatest supported software and OS.

2) Do a clean install 8.12

3) Convert your data

4) Do lot's of testing, tweaking, and rewritting your operational procedures. 8.12 is going to substantially different than 8.0, especially if you not big on the web.

5) When testing is done, blow away the data and do the conversion one more time for your "go-live."

One Web tip, make sure you lock down the websphere admin console after you install and configure JDE. By default, websphere is unsecure. I can email you a whitepaper on this process offline if you need the details.

Have fun!

Gregg Larkin
Praxair North American System Admin
JDE CNC and Security, Websphere, Tidal, Princeton Softech

I agree with Greg. Go for new hardware but look for where you will get the most bang for your buck, e.g. the database server. I would also take a hard look at the Red Stack (Oracle Application Server) components instead of Blue Stack (Websphere). Oracle says they have achieved parity with Websphere and I think it would position you well for the future (Fusion). Also, pay attention to the study on MTRs - the end user work stations seem to have a major speed difference if a P4 than a P3. Take that into consideration when looking at upgrade costs.

Back