Menu Security

max_xx

Well Known Member
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to give the security to menu. Well the case is like this.
Suppose there is a structure like:

A
|---B
|---C
|---D
|---E
|---F

Now i want to give the security for only D and E to a particular user or role. Rest i.e. B, C and F he can access.

I have gone through the peoplesoft website
The result i got is below:
-----------------------------------
1) Right mouse click on the Task Views you wish to hide and select Task Revisions or access them through Work with Task Views
2) On the Task View Revisions form, select the option for Secured Task View

Next
1) From Security Workbench (P00950), select the option to define Solution Explorer Security
2) For the User or Role that should not see the secured Task View, define the user with View only security for Explorer. For EnterpriseOne 8.11 and later, define the option as View only security for Menu Design.
-------------------------------------------

I am not able to see the option for secured task view.
I am using E810.

Can anyone guide me.

Thanks.

-Irfan

Irfan,
That option only shows on the task view at the very top, the ones that show when you use the Views drop-down arrow.

Thanks Janice.

I am still not able to see secure task view.
Can it be a reason that it has been disabled. Is there any other way to see it or get it back again.

Thanks a lot.

-Irfan

If it was disabled, you would still see it...you just wouldn't be able to select it. I'm attaching a print screen that might help you.

Attachments

• 111761-Doc30.doc
    115 KB · Views: 252
Irfan
if you view by that particular role and use fine cut to disable those tow items and the save. Those two will not show up next time.

My 2 cents

Task View security only controls whether a user can access entire task views. If you want a user to access tasks within a task view, the task view must be not secured.

the best way to control which applications a user can see on a menu is using application security on security workbench. Applications which a user cannot access do not appear on the task view. If you still need to control which menus a user can see beyond that, (e.g. for version control), use menu filtering (aka Fine Cut).

Note that Fine cut/menu filtering only controls the ability to launch a particular task, not the underlying application. It is a very poor substitute for properly defined application security in the security workbench. Focus on security workbench first, then refine the menu structure using fine cut only when you need to hide/filter empty folders, or in special cases that cannot be addressed via security workbench.

Irfan,

I gotta go with Joel's comments on this one. Security starts with security workbench and then extends out to menu management. I look at finecut in this fashion, it's a tool to hide the clutter of unnecessary menu options for our users. JDE leads need to see the "whole tree" of menus. Our users are only concerned with their "branches."

Two rules of thumb:
1) Don't frustrate your users with menu items that they don't have access to. Clicking on a menu item and getting the "You do not have access to this application. Contact your Security Administrator" error message is just an exercise in frustration for our users.

2) Do not use menu management as a security tool. Do not go with the philosophy of "if I hide it, they can't use it." That's poor security. You need to approach JDE security from an "all doors closed" perspective and then grant applications back to the user, if you want a safe, stable system.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair North American System Admin
JDE CNC and Security, Websphere, Tidal, Princeton Softech

Back