Websphere Server Group with IIS

aimeeb

We currently have one production JAS server configured with IIS. To meet demand (and for DR purposes) I have added a second production JAS server also with IIS. I have created a server group for both servers in websphere admin console to manage load balancing. When the servers are running in the group there is nothing to indicate that the second server is being used. If I log on to the second server, the users appear in the user list for the first server in the JAS SAW. Also if I try to connect to the JAS SAW for the second server it actually takes me to the SAW for the original server. The services all start up on the 2nd server ok.

My question is is it possible to have 2 production Jas servers in a group with IIS? If so, how should this be set up?

Many thanks in advance,

Rob

E1 Xe (B7333) SP22_N1)
Windows 2000 SP4 SQL server 2000 Sp2

What version of Websphere are you running? Are you using horizontal clusters in the Network Deployment Edition? Are you using the Edge Server for Load Balancing?

If you want a very simplistic load balancing then you can simply use a DNS round r.obin in Active Directory.

Colin

Hi Rob,

We just changed our web architecture last week, to modify the way the websphere load balancing was working.
We have 2 web servers (windows 200, Websphere 4, IIS).
Before, 3 jas were installed on the first server (so we had 3 differents url to connect, one per subsidary), and then cloned to the second server (what is called horizontal cloning).
In that configuration, we then had 3 server groups, and 2 clones in each group. In IIS, we had 3 web sites defined on the first server (with the virtual directory to the 3 jas installed on the server).
Normally, with that cloning, you don't need to define IIS for the second web server. You always access by the first server, and then websphere manage wich jas server (wich clone) will be used. But the problem is that if your first server is down, you don't have access anymore. So as a backup solution, we had also defined 3 web sites on IIS of the second server, pointing to the each jas of the second server (but it means you have to change your connexion url. instead of http://server1:portx/jde/owhtml, you use http://server2:portx/jde/owhtml).

The issue we had was that the structure of our company changed, and using different url for each subsidary was no longer relevant. We had many users connected to some url, and few for other.
So we decide to change the jas structure to have only one url, and use 6 clones, using the 2 web servers.
We then used vertical and horizontal cloning :
One jas is installed on the first server (using jde install cd), a single server group is created, and we cloned the first jas 2 times on the first server (vertical cloning. The clones uses the same jas directory. It's only that you have 3 JVM). Then, the jas is cloned 3 times on the second server (you have to copy the jas directory on the second server, and the 3 clones will use it).
For IIS, you only define 1 web site on the first server.
You can define one on the second server if you want a backup solution if the first server is down.

A problem with the websphere cloning is that when you connect to the web saw, it works just like when you connect to jde application and websphere will use one of the clone, and the information we'll get will be on the clone you are connected to. But you can't access to the jas you want.
Nevertheless, there are some set up that can be done to solve this issue and be able to explicitly see the clone you want. I did not set this up for the moment, i need to try (i 'm not sure it's possible for our SP level).

You can fine many information about all that in a jde pdf called "webadmin". If you don't have it or don't find it, let me know, i can send it to you.

Hi Antoine,

Thanks for the detailed response. I have not had a chance to revisit this issue yet. However I can not find the webadmin document you mention, could you please forward it to me if it is not too much trouble.

my e-mail id [email protected]

Many thanks,

Rob

Back