Changing A/P Offset Method Constant

GMunchel

Out current setting in A/P constants for the Offset Method is "B"-create one offset for each batch. Users would like this changed to "Y"-create one offset per document. Can this be a running change or will this create any integrity issues among the related tables? My very limited testing seems to indicate this would be okay, but I would sure like to have this confirmed or denied by someone whose been there. Also, any comments on the recommended setting for this A/P constant?

Thanks....G.

Hi,
In one of our clients place we changed the setup. Until know it is working without any problem.

The change will work and will apply for all batches posted once the
change is made. The real question is why do the users want to change
the setting, what benefits will they gain?

I recommend the best setting is what you already have (i.e. "B" one set
of "offset" entries per batch).

If you do change the constant, then sit back and watch the huge increase
in F0911 entries generated!!

Re: RE: Changing A/P Offset Method Constant

Thanks folks for the input. Our auditors don't like the fact that the A/R debits/credits for multiple invoices/receipts get "lumped" into a document with a month-end G/L date.

But Colin, I share your fear about our ever-growing F0911.

We're still pondering what-t0-do, but it's good to know we could make this change. I just don't know if we want to.

We have the same issue in A/P which, in our business, has many more documents than A/R.....G.

Re: RE: Changing A/P Offset Method Constant

I wonder about your auditors' practical grasp of reality (well at least the grasp of apparently the less than experienced employee doing the review). Reality is that this is way JDE does it and has done for at least 14 years, I have never heard of any other auditors complaining including big 4. Reality is that it is only one functional group of programs that create the AE entries (think P0980**) in the normal course so if mods to these programs are controlled and documented then the auditors perception of threat is unfounded. Reality is that the date of the AE entry is not material so long as it is in the correct accounting period. Reality is that the AE doc number and the batch number are closely bound. Reality is that auditors can only make comment (based on sound judgement and expertise as opposed to personal "preference") on the business and systems employed. Reality is that auditors do not run the business. Reality is that Auditors do not have to find the wherewithall to fund a machine and disk upgrade. Reality is that even Auditors, like management, can be wrong in their assessment, the difference is that management need to put case their firmly and convincingly rather than give in.
Please feel free to offer them my comments (as an ex member of the Chartered Profession) for their consideration, just make sure you are dealing with the partner, not the graduate assistant.

Back