Vista not supporting MSDE

altquark

altquark

Legendary Poster
I just found this information online :

[ QUOTE ]
Vista Not Supporting MSDE
I had a number of people write today for more information on the Vista non-support for MSDE. There's more to this - as seen on the Microsoft site. Specifically, they're also not going to be supporting SQL Server 2000 on Vista. Now, perhaps not many people have 2000 installed on the desktop, but my contention here is that many people might not even realize they do. MSDE, and flavors of SQL Server that are meant to be embedded are not obvious to the user. In fact, there are applications that specifically work to hide the fact that they're using SQL Server or MSDE in their installations. In these cases, *potentially*, you're looking at a situation where an application breaks when the user upgrades to Vista.

It's important to note too, again, that this is non-support, not necessarily that Vista will actually break these applications. Still, it's a strong statement to say "gee, we hope it'll work but we can't help you if it doesn't." I'm hopeful as we move forward toward Vista that a couple of things will happen pretty quick here.

1) Vendors: you need to step up to the plate and start notifying your user base about whether your applications will work under Vista. Wave the flag NOW if there are issues (or could be issues). Let us know that there are planning points here. Yes, I realize it's a beta that you're testing against, but you know - deep down inside - whether you've got a situation to be worked through. Come clean, work with your customers, prevent the fall-out.

2) Microsoft: non-support: really? I hope this isn't the case when things go live. Perhaps (this is just me, not any "inside scoop") this will change during the final phases of implementation with Vista betas and such? I hope so. It's either that, or the compatibility testing and tools, the setup apps, the upgrade process will need to be explicit and clear when installing. It'll need to lay it out cold that there could be issues with applications. This last item is last resort. It won't help the people that install fresh, then look to move their applications over.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does this affect JDE ? Well, if you're a user of 8.11 or above, you're using MSDE in your Standalone install.

My personal guess is that Oracle will not immediately support Vista for Standalone, and will not support Vista for many months - and support will probably only become realistic with EnterpriseOne 9.0

Jon

This is a timely post. We are in the process of testing the beta version of Windows Vista. My manager ask me to open a call with Oracle to find out when they were looking to certify Windows Vista on XE. Below is their response:

"There is no announced date for testing or support of Windows Vista. Windows Vista is still in beta at Microsoft. We do not develop or test against beta releases of any OS. You may want to check with your client manager."

Patty

Back