JDE Web Client on Linux?

Sebastian Sajaroff

Sebastian Sajaroff

Legendary Poster
Hi,

I'd like to know, please, if any of you has already tried
JDE Web Client (Tools 8.95 or higher) from a Linux PC.

If so :

Was there any glitch?
What browser were you using? Firefox? Something else?
Which Linux release? Red Hat? Debian? other?
Any special requirement such as JRE?
How was the performance and what were the hardware
specs of that Linux PC?

Thanks a lot,

I haven't tried it yet, but I will for you this weekend if I have time. I guess it would depend on what browser you were using. Firefox is what I use on Ubuntu Linux and I'm sure the active X controls JDE uses will not work (media objects). There may be a way to run IE in Wine but I would have to do a bit of playing around.

It's kind of funny, I run linux at home to try to get away from the many XP flaws and I'm finding more and more, that I have to still implement Microsoft applications via Wine.

I'm feeling the same way Max. I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger and installing Mandrake (repartitioning the drives from NTFS is holding me back). I have a question about Wine though, is the performance adequate for most win apps?

my pc is a dual opteron with 4 gigs RAM.

Hi,
I have installed my HTML Web Server on Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS 3.0 x86. The installation was quite smooth. But the performance has been quite slow.

Anyone having a JAS tuning guide or something to tweak around to optimize performance...:)

Renga.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm feeling the same way Max. I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger and installing Mandrake (repartitioning the drives from NTFS is holding me back). I have a question about Wine though, is the performance adequate for most win apps?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only used wine for a few applications, just playing around so, I can't give an answer about performance. My biggest hurdle was getting my wireless card to work correctly. I had to use a wrapper that actually uses the windows drivers.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I should have included this link. http://wiki.winehq.org/BenchMark-0.9.5 It's a benchmark.

Sebastien,

I run the web client via Firefox on Redhat Enterprise Linux 3 and 4. It works well for the most part minus some of interactive features delivered by JavaScript. There are also some formatting differences that I attribute to differences in the way the main stylesheet is interpreted.

Technically Mozilla 1.6/1.7 are officially supported and only on Redhat. I don't know enough about the Mozilla project to understand the technical differences between Firefox and Mozilla. I have tried the web client with Mozilla on Redhat and it seems to behave the same as my Firefox experience.

The media object activex control will not work of course. You will see this message:

"This media object is not viewable on this type of browser. Please download the media object file to your local machine and open it with an appropriate application.

Click here to download this media object"

Regards,

Another option is you might consider VMWare. The VMWare Server product (formerly GSX Server) is now free and runs just fine on Linux. I run Redhat on a 2GB dual-core laptop and have various Windows VM images that I can bring up. I then use a Linux RDP client to connect to the VMs. Performance is good.

Back