Oracle Partitioned tables and JDE.

Jogil

We are having huge performance issues with large tables and our DBA is suggesting to partition the tables. I am not sure how this will be handled by JDE. I beleive, Once the table is created from JDE I can add the partitions to that. But I am curious to see anyone used it before. If yes, how about the indexes whether it will global indexes or partition indexes.

We are on Oracle Database.

partitioning should be invisible to JDE if set up correctly - the partitioning is being performed prior to the SGA.

However, Oracle Partitioning doesn't always help performance. The best thing is to try this in a DV or PY environment - and run some tests to see if it really helps. Obviously, depending on the table, other methods might be able to help a lot more :

1. If you can purge the data using a JDE Purging technique, then this should be investigated
2. Do you have too many indexes on the table ? Obviously performance is affected writing to a table with too many indexes - evaluate what indexes are used, and drop the others
3. Obviously ensure that other performance techniques are being followed to ensure the tables are defragmented, that they are being optimized, etc etc
4. Lastly (or actually this is the FIRST thing to look at) - make sure your disk architecture is set up correctly. RAID5 of course is very bad for production data - make sure that the architecture is set up to "OSA" rules as per the JDE Guidelines.

Back