Upgrade Path Question

Coona

Hi Forum!

I need to know anything about upgrade from B733.1 to ERP8. I know that ERP8 is only update 6 of XE, but I´m not sure about upgrade path - do we need to make two-step upgrade (B733.1 -> XE -> ERP8) or is it possible to make only one-step upgrade (B733.1 -> ERP8).

Big thanks for your help. There is no much support from Peoplesoft/Oracle for such old releases like B733.1
smile.gif

XE update 6 is the same as ERP8. So no, you do not need to do a two step.

Okay dispite popular belief Xe Update 6 is NOT the same as ERP 8.0. Xe Update 6 has many of the same features of ERP 8.0 but the apps are just not the same.

You can upgrade from B733.1 directly to ERP 8.0 and then apply ERP 8.0 Update 1.

Also why stop at Xe or ERP 8.0?

You *can* upgrade *directly* from B733.1 to 8.12.

Colin

Colin,

I agree that XE update 6 is not quite the same as ERP 8, but it's only a hair different. For my money, if I were to upgrade from 7.31, I'd upgrade past 8 as well. Depending on the customer, I'd go to 8.11 or 8.12. A lot depends on how much money they have sunk in Citrix or they wanted to go all out on the web client.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair North American System Admin
JDE CNC and Security, Websphere, Tidal, Princeton Softech

Our JDE/Peoplesoft/Oracle partner said us that migration from B733.1 to E811 SP1 is complicated and is two-step and that there is no direct way. We have plenty of our own objects in B733.1 and we want to keep them in "new" version.

We have multiple remote sites with mosty 512/128 Kbps lines so we published B733.1 over Citrix. E811 is web based only and we´re not sure if web client is "fast enough" for our users
smile.gif
. Web client is also very chatty and needs fast connection.

Because of our own objects I think that upgrade to E811 or E812 will be complicated - we will need move to XE and from XE to E8xx. And there is no guarantee from our JDE/Peoplesoft/Oracle partner to make in time and budget.

So ideal should be move directly to XE Update 6/ERP8.0 with support until Dec 2013 and then to the Fusion (I guess no one believes that we bring our own object to Fusion
smile.gif
)

What do you think about it? Did I miss something relevant?

Thanks for your opinion!!!

[ QUOTE ]
... and then to the Fusion (I guess no one believes that we bring our own object to Fusion
smile.gif
)

[/ QUOTE ]

Coona, that's an understatement. Fusion will be a whole different animal.

B7331 to Xe or Xe2 (8.0) is not a big issue. However, the effort to convert is 90% of the same effort if you were to go from B7331 to 8.12

B7333XU6 has many objects from B7334 (8.0) - but there are some HR objects in B7334 that do not exist in Xe at any level. But, those functional objects are also not brilliantly supported under B7334 - and if you ARE looking at using them, I'd say go to 8.10

Now, the effort to upgrade from B7331 through to any version all the way to 8.10 is within a hair of each other (yes, there is a double upgrade through Xe - but it only adds a couple of days to the technical upgrade process) - and with 8.10 if you are used to the Win32 client, then you can deploy the same client without having to retrain every user.

However, 8.11 and 8.12 is more complex because it REQUIRES you to change the client type to a very foreign type for your users - Java/HTML. This client exists at exactly the same level in 8.10 (same service pack release) - but they force HTML applications down your throat when you go above 8.10

So - I would consider the effort to upgrade to 8.10 - I would love to see most customers upgrade to that level, just to poke JDE in the eye !

However - and this is the important thing - B7333 and B7334 are supported through to 2013, whereas 8.10 and 8.11 have support cutoff dates that occur before the Xe cutoff date, even though they are far more advanced versions !

I hope that helps. Call me if you need assistance.

Thank you for your reply, I guess that final decision will be made in next month
smile.gif
. There are a lot of factors that we have to consider (Citrix, WAS, HTML client, difficulty of migration of our own objects,...).

What are people that are on 8.9 doing for future upgrade path?
Granted that 8.9 is full of memory leaks, but wanting to do an upgrade v/s forced to perform a upgrade has me baffled. Yes, the option is to go 3rd party support, however we are growing and hence that is not an option.
However even if we decide to take the 8.12 route, it will just buy us about 3-4 yrs of useful time, before support again runs out.
Just wanted to find out what other people who are on 8.9 are planning to do.

Thanks!!.
confused.gif

i would go ahead and move to 8.12 with the latest tools release at that time (8.97 will be released soon). You have the use of Power Forms, you can start your users on HTML, which has made some great progress. and the use of some of the componenets with 8.96 will be a major gain, e.g. XML Publisher. There is a Oracle Upgrade forum - ask questions out there and seek the advice of those who have upgraded. In my humble opinion, your partner is doing you a disservice by taking you to an old Release.

Hello Coona,
You can upgrade your system to 8.10. It has a client Fat client, so you can utilize your Citrix servers. It also has many nice Web features.
I think 8.10 is a good compromise between XE and 8.12.

Alex

Hmm

I would wait until EnterpriseOne 9.0 if you're stable and you don't need the functionality.

smile.gif

Back