Archiving and purging strategy

• Thread starter Michael H. Albers
  • Start date
Michael H. Albers

Michael H. Albers

I'm looking for "best practice reports" regarding archiving and purging our OneWorld database.

We are still in coexistant mode with some modules.

Within half a year we start our conversion from an AS400 to an IBM P-series.
Should I clean up before conversion, or should i convert all and set up nice clean-up procedures for the future on the new platform?

And what tool to use? Heard about "ARCTOOLS"....

Puzzled...

any information is welcome!

You can choose either approach, you need to consider what is best for your business.

If you purge before conversion then it will improve the conversion process time. The downside is that your archived data will then permanently remain in the old format (Unless you run a seperate conversion process for this afterwards). This may be fine if you do not require much access to the data and if it is old.

If you purge after the conversion you will have all your data in the converted format. It will also be on the new platform.

Apart from ARCTOOLS there are other products available. For instance you might want to look at Purge-it! from Klik IT (http://www.klik-it.co.uk/). This has been specifcally developed for JDE customers and they are Oracle product partners. I know Purge-it! comes in both an iSeries and an EnterpriseOne solution so you could upgrade from one to the other in line with your conversion should you so wish.

Hope this helps!
Jamie

Back