uploading data from JDE tables

worldsat

I want to upload data from tables to an excel sheet onto my PC.please do let me know the steps to be followed.

Hi,
If you have client access installed on your machine,
goto control panel -> goto odbc -> create User DSN .
Open excel and use option Data -> Import external data -> New Database query -> this will show you the entry name in User DSN. Follw the wizard and specify the file/field names and the data imports in your XL sheet.

I thought the primary purpose of JDEList was to provide support to the installed JDE user base as well as some supoprt on various AS/400 or iSeries issues.

This request is very broad and non specific to JDE. Maybe you should have addressed it either another "list group" within JDEList or another site altogether (like IBM etc).

Midrange.com is possibly the best source of information for general
iSeries questions such us this. A search in the midrange-l archives
there will uncover several ways of getting data from iSeries database
tables into Excel.

--
Dave...

I am curious as to why you need to create user DSN? Is this related to the way in which you have ODBC defined at your location?

You can also use the file transfer in Client Access to download the file to the PC. It's self explanatory, especially downloading.

You ought to be able to get clear information on this from your IT Department - it's not just JDE related. And it's the BASICS of working with an AS/400.

It's really scary just how many people are generating programs these days and not aware of how to do the basics. In the "good old days" junior programmers were the ones who were learning and always had their peers in the company to learn from. From the frequent recent discussions both on JDEList and various other newsgroups, it seems like junior programmers are in charge of the design and development of complex programs and interfaces, or that they don't have anyone who does know what they are doing to turn to. I'm just hoping I never have to deal with one of those implementations, because even the best of us still get the design wrong occasionally despite our experiences in understanding what a user needs.

Back