sizing an ibm computer for jde

That is a black art performed only by highly trained IBMers.

In the JDE/IBM universe (as it relates to Xe and beyond), connections to the iSeries are through ODBC so they are actually "batch" applications rather than interactive applications. (JDE World may be different -- green screen applications are interactive, I believe.)

You should contact your authorized reseller for a proper sizing based on a number of factors: The version of JDE you're sizing for, the expected number of users, concurrent batch jobs, expected growth, etc.

Basically, there's no single answer to your question -- it depends on a number of factors.

You don't have configuration in your signature, so we can't tell what application you're looking at, but since you're asking about interactive users, I assume you might be using WorldSoftware.
I agree with the other response that said it's a black art best left to the consultants at IBM, but if it helps any, we are a World shop running on an old model 720 which is rated at 720 CPW total, with an interactive feature limited to 240 CPW. We are licensed for 80 concurrent users, but the average load is 60 -65. The box doesn't exactly fly, but it's adequate.
The CPW numbers on the new i5 systems are pretty impressive by comparison, and I'm looking forward to upgrading.
Hope this helps.

Back