Ran out of temp space in Oracle, no OneWorld error reported.

SULLY1

VIP Member
This week we had an A/P check run that did not update the F0413 and F0414 tables for 30 checks. All the reports came out fine and there was no "in you face errors" reported by the application. After reviewing the jde.log file I found that we had run out of temp space in the Orace database. Shouldn't OneWorld have reported an error to the user?

Patty

[ QUOTE ]
This week we had an A/P check run that did not update the F0413 and F0414 tables for 30 checks. All the reports came out fine and there was no "in you face errors" reported by the application. After reviewing the jde.log file I found that we had run out of temp space in the Orace database. Shouldn't OneWorld have reported an error to the user?

Patty

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Patty,

I don't think that OneWorld has that built into it since it is database agnostic. We use BMC patrol to monitor our SQL database and Server disk space. BMC is set up to look for crossing thresholds and sends out alerts by email and on the server ops console. Occasionally, we will see a run away process that will trigger the threshold and before we get notified chew up the remainder. But those are few and far between.

When you finish your transition over to MS SQL, keep a sharp eye on tempdb. That is SQL's "scratch pad" area. If that gets tied up, then your entire system performance slows to a crawl. The good news is, this is easy to fix, you just have to whack the out of control process.

Gregg Larkin

Thanks Greg.

We were lucky that the user had not signed back into OneWorld or I would have lost the log and had no idea that running out of temp space caused the problem. Scary indeed. I would still be trying to figure this one out. The Oracle DBA knew we ran out of temp space and enlarged it but never told any of the OneWorld apps people.

Patty

Everyone,

I apologize for the previous post. That was inappropriate. Gregg and I
know each other quite well, and I was trying to reply to him personally.
I'm really embarressed.

Andy

[ QUOTE ]
The Oracle DBA knew we ran out of temp space and enlarged it but never told any of the OneWorld apps people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Patty,

Do you want the good SQL news or the bad SQL news?

The good news is that MS SQL is self expanding, so you will not run into that same issue. The bad news is that there is a hard wall. SQL will expand until you run out of physical diskspace. At that point SQL and JDE go splat. Hence our watchdog of BMC Patrol. BMC helps us keep away from the "yo mama's a ho and yo daddy wears frilly dresses" error message that Andy accidentally posted.
grin.gif

Gregg

All this lack of communication with the host OS/DB is not restricted to
Oracle or SQL. OneWorld is an Equal Opportunity Offender, it
communicates poorly with DB2/OS400 as well. It's the result of wanting
to be all things to all platforms, OneWorld can't do justice to any of
them even there old haunts on IBM.

Re: RE: Ran out of temp space in Oracle, no OneWorld error reported.

[ QUOTE ]
....It's the result of wanting to be all things to all platforms....

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, it just occured to me what a visionary old Ed Mcfaney was. He set OneWorld up to be "all things to all platforms" years ago. Look how long, and how expensive it was for Larry Ellison and Oracle to fall into the same trap.......
cool.gif

Back