Deleting Environments

ka4niv

There are 2 environments that were created for training purposes when we first went live on XE back in '00. They have not been used since.

I would like to delete these environments to free up some storage on our AS/400 Enterprise server?

Does anyone know of any gotcha's?

An environment is the marriage of a pathcode and a set of data sources. To delete an environment, you must delete both parts. Thus, the only gotcha is if either part is shared with another environment. For example, my training environment shares my development pathcode. For me to delete the training environment, I would simply get rid of the data sources (bus. data and control tables) related to training. I would NOT get rid of the training environment's path code because it is a shared resource.

One other gotcha. Be sure the JDE.INI files are not using the environment to be deleted for defaults. If it is, then deleting the environment would wreek havock on your implementation. Change the JDE.INI first.

FWIW, The overhead of maintaining an empty environment is a lot less than creating a new one. I'd just clear the data and control tables libraries, this will recover 99% of your space. When someone needs a 'test' or 'training' environment, you can just copy the appropriate libraries to the existing ones, chagne the users allowed in the environment, and you are ready to go.

Tom

Tom -- Good Idea. I am pretty sure that the data has been cleared out of the files, but the files themselves still take up a chunk of space.

Also, since the path codes *are* shared, I won't gain much by doing more anyway.

Thanks all!

In an AS/400 environment, you can delete the control and data tables as well. We have environments set up this way now -- we repopulate the data when we need it; the rest of the time the libraries are empty.

Back