EnterpriseOne over Citrix

vchai

Hi everyone:

We're getting ready to upgrade from ERP 8.0 to EnterpriseOne 8.11. We currently have people on thin client, some running on P3 machines, and some on a low-speed Internet connection over a WAN. I asked Oracle if 8.11 can be run over a Citrix session ... they said no one does that. I'm hoping that, by running it over Citrix, it could boost performance since the Java components would be executed on the Citrix servers rather than on the local machines. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks.

In July 2005 we went live with EO810 running on our Windows 2000 terminal servers, our next update phase which we are currently implementing is using Oracle Application Server and converting all Production users to access the web client via IE on our new Windows 2003 terminal server farm. We also have some pcs on our network that are around 500-600mhz pcs, obviously inadequate to run the web client. In addition, for other administration reasons we do not allow the majority of users access to IE locally on their pcs. In Dec 2005 when we started the web client upgrade a Oracle/PSFT/JDE support individual mentioned that we did not want to run the web client through our terminal servers. I stated the reasons and also mentioned an article (see attached zip file) that they had internally written that showed advantages of running the web client over terminal servers. I can keep everyone updated as we move forward with this approach with any issues we incur.

Dave Rammer
Sheboygan County

EO810 Production: 8.93_N1 HP-UX 11i Oracle 9.2.0.5
Citrix XP SP3/FR3 on Windows 2000 terminal servers

Testing:
EO810 Tools 8.95_J1 HP-UX 11i Oracle 9.2.0.5
Citrix ?? on Windows 2003 terminal servers

Like to know who you spoke with. Actually, running IE sessions via Citrix servers is a used, and good way of not only controlling IE access, but to help performance especially for WAN users. Oracle even produced a document that outlines using Citrix for this purpose. They also released a document that proves just how big of performance increase is obtained by the model of processor running the E1 HTML client, and pretty much shows that unless you've got a P4, you're getting a huge performance hit. I believe in the last benchmarking I saw (I admit it was dated) showed that the footprint of the HTML client over a WAN was about 2 to 3 times that of the footprint of running the HTML in a browser via Citrix.

I think you may be confusing things in the architechture and the performance benefits:

[ QUOTE ]
Hi everyone:

since the Java components would be executed on the Citrix servers rather than on the local machines.

[/ QUOTE ]

The heavy Java-code (serialized JDE specs) runs on the JAS server (WebSphere/OC4J), not with the user, or on the browser. The browser only runs client scripting (Javascript), wich is different. The Javascripts (text) happen to be very large to download, so caching on the browser and compression on the HTTP server would help with browser-server traffic, similarly to putting the browser closer to the web-server and delivering it over Citrix. I hope this helps.

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. Sounds like we need to run a compression program in our environment and we can run the web client over Citrix.

Back