Extended Dynamic Support for SQL Packages and Lost Tabs

Jay Paff

Hi All,

We occassionally have issues relating to corrupt SQL packages that reside on our iSeries. We IPL every week and delete all SQL packages at that time. My understanding of SQL packages are that they are created to improve performance. Additionally, the way you take advantage of these SQL packages is to have Extended Dynamic support enabled in your ODBC configurations of each data source.

Typically, when a user has an issue that I believe is related to a corrupt SQL package, I have the user turn off Extended Dynamic support and their problem usually goes away. Additionally, when I ask the user if they notice anything running slower they indicate that they notice no difference in speed.

We have an on-going issue where *PUBLIC tabs for certain groups of users "disappear". We have a number theories as to why this is happenning but nothing we can prove.

Questions:
Does anyone else experience lost tabs and what do they do about it?
Does Extended Dynamic support really provide a significant (noticeable) performance improvement?
Has anyone ever turned off Extended Dynamic support on all the data sources to see how well things perform?
Does anyone have any idea as to which data source tabs would be accessed through?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Jay

Hello, Jay-- What version and service pack are you on?

I don't know much about SQL packages except that we delete ours every night (see attached text file for the code used). Because of that we haven't had problems with corrupt SQL packages in a long, long time.

Hopefully someone else will address your inquiry about extended dynamic support, because I'm curious.

We have experienced a lot of recurring problems with "lost tabs." For us, this usually happens for individual users not *PUBLIC. User overrides and tabs are stored in the central objects datasource; in our case, this is a SQL Server database (JDE_PD7333) and the table is F98950. When a user complains about missing tabs, I delete the corresponding record(s) in F98950 (searching on username and formname), then the user recreates the tab(s) in question. This usually lasts a month or more, and then I have to do it again.

See this link for a recent extended discussion about tabs ("user overrides"). We are desperately hoping that our problems go away when we go live with ERP 8.0 SP 23 next Saturday.

Good luck!

Attachments

• 105789-QGPL-DLTJDESQL.txt
    3.1 KB · Views: 96
Hey CAJ,

Thanks for the response. We are at SP23 F1 and tabs are still an issue. We are a 24x7 manufacturing shop, so we really can't take OW down nightly to delete SQL packages. We are allowed to do it once a week.

Hopefully, we'll get more responses and that one JDE God is out there who will tell us exactly how to solve our problems. Maybe the solution is SAP!?!?!?!

Back