OMW error in new AS400 instalation

gerd_renz3

VIP Member
Hi list,
I have a new AS400 installation and I am getting this in the jde.log when I try to add an object to a project.
Could anybody help me o this ?

Thanks, Gerd

1412/1120 Wed Apr 05 10:08:39.546 JDBODBC.C6513
ODB0000066 - Unable to prepare statement: CALL STRJOURNAL (?, ?, ?).

1412/1120 Wed Apr 05 10:08:39.546 JDBODBC.C7310
ODB0000163 - wSQLExecute failure. rc=-1

1412/1120 Wed Apr 05 10:08:39.546 JDBODBC.C7310
ODB0000164 - STMT:00 [HY000][-7008] [IBM][iSeries Access ODBC Driver][DB2 UDB]SQL7008 - F98222 in SY9 not valid for operation.

1412/1120 Wed Apr 05 10:08:39.546 jdb_drvm.c942
JDB9900401 - Failed to execute db request

1412/1120 Wed Apr 05 10:08:39.546 jdb_exet.c4187
JDB3500011 - Failed to delete for F98222

1412/1120 Wed Apr 05 10:08:39.546 jdb_exet.c6588
JDB9901232 - Canceling transaction because: TC045 DeleteTable: Delete failed

Hi Gerd,

Ask your AS/400 administrating to start journaling on
SY9.F98222

Ate mais,

Sebastian

Thanks Sebastian.
It worked. But ...
do I not need journaling for many tables? Looks like journaling was not started (installed?) for any table. Sorry, I am a bit ignorand with these 400 questions. Should I run STRJOURNAL I saw in the OWJRNL library ?
Thanks again, Gerd

You just need to ensure that the table (file) is configured to journal and it is pointing to a valid journal receiver. It should attempt to start automagically when it is accessed.

Sorry, I still don´t understand.
My AS400 admin started journaling on F98222 and I can do some OMW stuff now. However, when trying to do a check out I get the same error for the OL table F9861.
Problem is that I don´t know AS400 and my admin does not know OneWorld.

Thanks for your patience, Gerd

Every physical file on the iSeries has a setting that is either on or off that indicates if the file is to be journaled, and if so, what journal reciever (a file that stores the transactions basically) to use.

When you run a E1 process that will update a table that should be journaled, there is a E1 BSFN that attempts to start the journaling. Thus if the file either doesn't have the setting to be journaled, or the journal receiver is wrong/invalid, the file won't be journaled, and your transaction will not be permitted.

Thanks Jim.
So I understand that journaling is optional. If so, why do I get an error if I did not start journaling on a certain table?
Is there any problem starting journaling for all tables, like performance?
If not all tables, which ones need to journaled ?

Thanks, Gerd

It's not "optional" per se. If the table is a transactional table, E1 wants it to be journaled. As far as a list of tables that need to have it on, not sure if I've ever seen that. We compiled one, during a 8.9 upgrade a few years ago...but that, along with much of my mind is long gone.

I understood that the Journalling part was external to E1 (it's actually handled by the database).

For example - on many occasions, a person cannot use M$ Acce$$ and ODBC until journalling has been turned on.... I never got to the bottom of 'why' - but, if it worked then I'll find something else to break.

(db)

true, but starting in like 8.9 or so, there is a call to the start journal program from within E1...so yes, journaling itself is a DB2/400 feature, but it can be started when kicking off a process within E1 that knows it's tables should have it running.

Sorry if the attempted answers are just getting more cornfused.

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I do get more confused.

Bottom line: is there any install-process that handles that? I hear there is a STRJOURNAL and/or a INITJRNL program that does that for me. I looked for it in the install manual and did not find anything.

I can´t go on with trial-and-error on this. I need this up and running today.

Thanks again, Gerd

Attached is a list of journaled files we needed for E811 SP1 on the AS400/iSeries for Production. We actually opened up a call with Oracle. According to them, if a file needs journaled it will call the start journal command and start it, it never did though so we just manually added them.

Attachments

• 105539-PD811Jrnl.xls
    26.5 KB · Views: 126
I appreciate everbody trying to help, but I still had no success.
I understand that I should run INSTALLSP on the AS400 so that subsequent STRJOURNAL calls can be sucessfull, am I correct?
We tried to run INSTALLSP, but it didn´t run ok.
What else shoudl I try ?

Thanks, Gerd

see Margarg's previous post, great attachment. Make sure all the files in the list have journaling on. Your AS400 person should be able to create a CL that can run in your E1 startup script to start journaling in the future.

[ QUOTE ]
see Margarg's previous post, great attachment. Make sure all the files in the list have journaling on. Your AS400 person should be able to create a CL that can run in your E1 startup script to start journaling in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once we manually added the journaled files, there is nothing more to do. Once they are started they are always started so you shouldn't need any additional commands in the E811 startup call. The list is long but didn't take that long to add them using Ops Navigator. When we opened the case, they had us change something but it didn't work, we still had to manually start the journaling when we got the error.

Thanks for all the help. I got it going.
I found a step-by-step instruction to run INSTALLSP and INITJRNL on the Oracle/SP site. I went through it with my DBA and it worked without messing with the individual files.

Thanks again, Gerd

Hello, Gerd. I had the same problem today after copying some libraries from one iSeries to another.

I used a save file. The nice lady at IBM Software Support said when doing this I should have restored the OWJRNL library first so all subsequent files that are restored can phone home to their configured journal.

An example of how I displayed this configuration:

WRKOBJ OL7334/F9861

8 to display description.

Page-down to the journaling section.

For this file, I see that the 'Current or Last Journal' = OW_JRNL in library OWJRNL. 'Currently Journaled' was set to NO when I first looked.

To start journaling on this file again, I did this:

STRJRNPF <F4>
Physical File to be Journaled = F9861
Library = OL7334

Journal = OW_JRNL
Library = OWJRNL

Pressed <Enter> and it said something like 1 file is now being journaled.

After that, I didn't get any more errors on this file. (I imagine that I will see the error again on other files until I've done something about them, too.)

Hope that helps!

Back