Advanced Planning & Server Sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.
JCJN

JCJN

Greetings Folks,

We are currently a World iSeries shop, however we are in the process of installing Advanced Planning (SNO & PDP, specifically). Since this is mainly an E1 product I thought it might be better to post here.
I am looking for some ballpark box sizing figures related to running these apps efficiently. We have many different opinions from various interested parties (mainly Sales & Technical), but we don't have any way to judge one against the other.
I'm looking to get some practical experience opinions, i.e. what are other shops running these apps on and how do they perform. I realize that this is kind of open and it depends on a number of factors (how complex, how many, how often, etc.), but we're more interested in a general idea at this point (for comparison purposes), as opposed to a detailed breakdown.
Something like the following would be helpful...

> Make/Type of Server
> 2-way, 4-way, 8-way
> Memory requirements
> initial sizing vs. current (if changed)
> etc.

Any info you can provide will be much appreciated, just keep in mind that you're talking to a functional analyst and not a Tech Wiz. Thanks in advance!

Re: Advanced Planning & Server Sizing *DELETED*

Post deleted by ekempter

OJDE,

It is quite obvious that you missed the whole point of my post. I wasn't asking anyone to teach me how to play the piano, I was asking them what Make and Type of piano would be appropriate for the kind of music we want to play.
As for having it done by the technical experts, therein lies the quandry, Oracle says one thing, our consultants are saying something else, and our own Techs have a third opinion. We're looking for some way to figure out who's telling us what we need and not what they want.

The only opinion that counts is IBM. Either go to them directly, or have your iSeries sales partner go to them. Point blank, end of story. If they goof, you get to have them fix the issue. Oracle has a competency center in Denver that deals with these sizing issues. NEVER, EVER, size any E1 equipment based on a sales person's quote, a friend, a consultant, etc., etc., etc...and if any of the above tell you they CAN size it, reconsider your friendship, sales relationship, quality of consultant, etc....as none of the above should want the issues of a mis-sizing estimate on their hands.

Sorry if I sound gruff...but E1 Enterprise and ESPECIALLY iSeries sizing should always come from the manufacturer, they need to back it up and be held accountable. Can't tell you how many times I've been at a site, especially iSeries and heard "well, we asked so-and-so and they said that for E1 and XX users we'd be fine, we don't understand why IBM is saying we are undersized"....hmmmm...let's see, perhaps because the ying-yang you asked didn't understand that you were running WAS, MIMIX, six legacy apps, in ADDITION to E1, so that one-way 4GB iSeries they told you would be fine is melting through the raised flooring.

I'll repeat...your consultants should NOT be sizing, your technical guru's should NOT be sizing, your sales people should NOT be sizing, your grandma who predicted the Red Sox would win the World Series should NOT be sizing...complete a sizing request form, have the competency center in Denver perform the sizing. It is their job, their only job, and they could care less if/what you buy. In fact, they will be happy to even help you with different scenarios, such as pulling certain pieces off the iSeries. Especially with advanced pricing...

I shudder that there is a consultant out there that will offer you any sizing advice...other than to check the MTR's, which in turn will say "contact your hardware vendor".

Re: Advanced Planning & Server Sizing *DELETED*

Post deleted by ekempter

This thread is degenerating into a flame war and is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back