Where is the jde.log file ?

jde_uk

Hi all,
Sorry for asking such a basic question
blush.gif
. We have been testing JDE Xe on WIN XP which is going to be our Fat Client.
I am trying to find the jde.log file on the XP machine but am struggling. The jdeinstall.log shows the installation as successful and JDE works fine on the test machine.
Is the jde.log file located somewhere else in Win XP, and not in c:\ ?
Many thanks in advance.
Warm Regards

Hi,
Ideally it should be in the root folder only but you need to check the JDE.INI settings for jobfile parameter under [DEBUG] section where its been kept.

Regards,
Gary

The log file(s) location(s) are determined by the following settings in the jde.ini file:-

DebugFile=
JobFile=

These can be found in the [DEBUG] section of the JDE.INI file (normally near the top of the file.

The default values for fat clients are:-

DebugFile=c:\jdedebug.log
JobFile=c:\jde.log

You can obviously change the location to anywhere you want.

Are you searching jde.log or jde.ini?
Because if you just have installed OneWorld and you never have logged in, jde.log doesn't exist on your client.
However jde.ini is under c:\Windows in this file you'll find where it puts jde.log and jdedebug.log
Good luck
Gigi

I am looking for jde.log.
I have logged in and JDE is working fine.
Cheers !

The jde.log is typically on the root of your c: drive. If you are looking for it in Windows Explorer, make sure you're not hiding file extensions or you might miss it. If you still can't find it, look in the [DEBUG] section of your jde.ini file. There's a jobfile= line that tells you where the jde.log is.

Yes, I have checked all that and it says that it should be in C:\, but......it is not there which is worrying !

A year or so ago, we had just a few PC's here running fat client that, for some unknown reason, put their jde.log file in the D:\ directory. They had the same JDE.INI file as all other fat clients, but they still had their jde.log and jdedebug.log files in the D:\ directory. I never did figure that one out -- maybe you are seeing something similar?

I did read about something like that. The jdedebug.log file is in the C:\, but the jde.log isn't anywhere. I have searched as well and have failed to get the jde.log file. Its really surprising.

Maybe it's hidden for some reason or another. If you create a new text file in the root of C: drive and then try to rename it to jde.log, will it let you? If the file is hidden, it should tell you that file already exists. If it lets you rename the file and you log into OW, does it update the file?

Maybe it wasn't such a basic question you were asking after all.

If you have FastPath available, type in jde.log and press enter. It will open up in notepad. Do a File, Save As... It will display the folder where the file is located.

Done.

Use our freeware - OWDLC (OW Debug Log Commander) - it will find you your LOG file no probs. It'd downloadable from our WEB site.

Hi

We had the same kind of issue here.

Log onto the pc as an administrator and log onto XE as yourself - this should create the jde.log file in the C:\ drive. Go into the Security tab of the jde.log file and give Users Full Control. Restart the pc and log on as a standard user and then see if you can see the jde.log file and if the date stamps are correct.

Regards

Malcolm
XE SP22_Q1

Hi,
Can you rename the JDE.INI to JDE_ren.INI and try to Login to JDE? The objective is to figure out if its the same JDE.INI being referred or not.
Are you logging to the local machine or domain?
Also, check the Environment Variables if you find something strange there!

All the best!
Regards,
Gary

Thanks everyone, yes, this was our security policy which prevented write on the C:\.
What we are doing now, is to create a jde.log file using a package, on the C:\ for all jde users, and then, provide them write access to this file ONLY. I think this satisfies one and all.
Cheers and many thanks again.

Just as another option, as we have similar security set up - heavily restricted access to C:\ root directory, we keep the jde.log and the jdedebug.log in the C:\B7\ directory. This allows users to email the jde.log to me when there is a problem, or if I am looking over their shoulder while they are demonstrating a problem I can look at and make comments in the log file(s) as needed.

Back