Websphere fix packs

Edspec

Hello all

It has been 3 years since I installed a web server. The process is certainly a bit different now

Does anyone have a view on the best fixpack release to use, where they can be downloaded from (if no longer on the standard IBM web site)and the correct sequence of installation.

Enterprise E811 SP1
Tools 8.95
SQL Server 2000

Any help or sugestions would be appreciated.

Regards

John

The obsolete ones are on an FTP site.
Here is the link:

IBM "obsolete" FPs, CFs

Be careful and browse through all the directory structures to get a feel of the way they are organized -- especially by platform, fixpack level, ND, base, enterprise, cumulative fix, for the plugin... it can get a little confusing
ooo.gif

On the first part of your question -- which ones to use, it is a "moving target" with different TRs and platforms.

Follow what people post here, the MTR and breaking news.
For example 8.95F1 had a need for a Java fixpack, 131sr8 with certain combinations of FPs and CFs, which was discussed on JDELIST and was posted on the breaking news.

With 8.95F1 and 8.11 SP1, I am currently using (no ND)
Base, 5.0.2.12, Enterprise, 5.0.2.6 + the Java 131sr8 fix and the 5.1.1.6 (it works better) just for the mod_was_ap20_http plugin for IHS 6.0.2.0

I hope this helps.

Everything starts with the MTRs.

I find that the easiest way to locate software on the IBM site is: www.ibm.com then search for "websphere application server support" or "websphere enterprise support" or "websphere portal support" or "IBM HTTP server support". Once you get there, look under downloads -- it is fairly simple to find and download the code you need.

Look at the RedBooks site under "Websphere". It has a vast amount of install and config information.

If you are installing portal, these are good titles, "WebSphere Portal for Multiplatforms v5.0 Handbook" and "WebSphere Portal V5.0 Production Deployment and Operations Guide".

Download the infocenter files -- it is easier than using them online. They have step by step directions for several things that you need to do. Once you understand it and how to find things in it, Infocenter may be the best place for install instructions.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have a view on the best fixpack release to use, where they can be downloaded from (if no longer on the standard IBM web site)and the correct sequence of installation.

Enterprise E811 SP1
Tools 8.95
SQL Server 2000

[/ QUOTE ]

I just finished building one development Web server; I am mostly finished building a prod server pair. The boxes are Sun Solaris 9, database is Oracle. This is what I did, your mileage may vary.

On the Dev box I installed in this order
websphere 5.0 base
websphere 5.0 enterprise
5.0.2 base
5.0.2 enterprise
5.0.2.6 base
5.0.2.6 enterprise
5.0.2.9 base
I am using IHS 1.3.26.1 running on this box.

There are two prod boxes, both Sun Solaris 9, one box for http server and one box for websphere and portal.

On box 5, install IHS -- I'm sorry, I forget the version but the portal MTR requires a specific one.

On box 6, install the 5.0 portal CDs -- this installs portal and websphere 5.0.1 then install

websphere 5.0.2 base
5.0.2 enterprise
5.0.2.6 base
5.0.2.6 enterprise
5.0.2 portal
5.0.2.3 portal
5.0.2.9 base

Configure the portal box to accept html from the IHS box then configure ikeyman and create an SSL certificate request. Next week I need to install the SSL certificate and convert from Cloudscape to Oracle.

RJ

Back