JAS installation - which machine?

PBRoberts

Just curious if anybody has implemented the following configuration:

Machine 1 - database server
Machine 2 - enterprise server
Machine 3 - deployment / JAS / web gen

All machines are win2k3, E1 tools 8.95, application 8.11 SP1, JAS is websphere, and db is SQL 2000.

My understanding and history has been to allow the deployment server to stand alone. I also understand that the web generator requires a client and WAS Express (not fit for win2k3) and that the Planner does not allow the Deployment server to be mentioned in another capacity.

Thanks for any feedback.
Pete

Hi,

Unfortunately, you can't install a Fat client (WebGen)
on the same machine you have the Deployment, none of
them will work.
But I'm 95% sure that you can install JAS and Deployment
on the same box.

Regards,

You can do anythig you want. The only remaining questions are how and why? You can have the Deployment Server, Enterprise Server, Web Server and everything else on the same physical machine.

Only tick (not really) is you may need to give 1 physical machine multiple names (ala host files and DNS entries).

Both WAS Express and eGenerator works happily on the the Deployment Server.

eGenerator doesn't really require a client. You can trick the system into think that one is present so this can technically be run from anywhere. Sorry no secrets here.......just copy the JAS directory from one machine to another and voila.........eGenerator.

I still typically use either my Web Server or Deployment Server to do the generation (even on 8.95). These machines are much faster than my Windows Development clients.

Colin

Back