Websphere config

DJH

Hi

I am messing about with websphere deployment manager (Version 5.0.2.12 + PME 5.0.2.6) and have some questions about how it is supposed to be administered.

I have Dep manager and app server all on the same box working fine. The dmgr and server1 service start fine and run independently on their own ports. As soon as I add the app server as a node in the dep manager admin console, I can no longer get server1 to start. Surely I need to start it in order to be able to install the peoplesoft HTML server applcation?
(I get various SQL Exception messages in the SystemOut.log for server1)

If I remove the node, server1 starts OK, I can then install the PS HTML server and then re-add the node but surely that is not how it is supposed to work.

Anyone know of a decent doc which may explain the setup and admin side a bit better?

Thank in advance.

Not sure why you are wanting (or what is gained) to run both at the same time...is there a reason? Both are "admin" type services...you use server1 if you don't have DM installed, DM if you do. server1 should be running (without HTTP) for JAS installs.

Any additional physical servers obviously don't need the DM component installed if they are to be part of the same node.

Thanks for your reply, I dont want or need to have both server1 and dm running apart from when installing the html server. The server1 service doeasent start properly so I cant add an html server, thats the problem. It starts fine until it has been federated, then it wont start and hence I cant add any html servers. Thanks for your help..

I don't know if this answers your question exactly but I'll tell you what we have and what is running where. We have 2 seperate AS and a Web DS. We are running 5.0.2.3 and HTTP 2.0.47.1.

On the Web DS, only the IBM WAS V5 -dmgr service is running, no HTTP or IIS or anything else.

On the AS, IBM WAS V5 - nodeagent is running to talk to the DS. IBM HTTP 2.0.47.1 is running. IBM WAS V5 - server1 is not running. I don't believe you can have server1 and nodeagent running on the same box.

Essentially, you run Web Admin on the Web DS and not on the AS. You would have to have nodeagent down before server1 would start and then you would have to run Web Admin on each individual AS, which is not what you want to do because it defeats the purpose of the Web DS.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. So when you install HTML Server on your WAS servers do you just have the nodeagent running or do you stop the node agent, start server1 and then install the HTML server? I have the nodeagent running but when I do the HTML server install I get 'RMI Port not found' I have tried putting in the nodeagent RMI port number but it doesent like it.

Back