please help me on platform pack!!!

gigi

gigi

VIP Member
I have this configuration:

1 - Windows 2003 Enterprise Server with E1 8.11SP1 software already installed with platform pack(all environment)
2- An HP/UX Oracle DB server with an Oracle Instance already configured

I'm trying to run platform pack to load Oracle db from my windows 2003 Enterprise Server, but when it asks me Oracle DB server and I set the name of my HP/UX server it says me "you cannot install remotly database".
I don't find any documentation on KG.
Has someone already done this one?
Thanks in advance
Gigi

Hi,
Check the host file in your windows server it should have name of your ES. Please have a look at page 44 of "8.11_SP1_install_win_oracle.pdf" this will help you in short this says"
If you are having trouble running the PeopleSoft EnterpriseOne Platform Pack Installer against your Oracle
database, you may need to enable your Oracle database to enable the system to remote connect as sysdba.
Oracle treats the connection established by the PeopleSoft EnterpriseOne Platform Pack Installer as a remote
connection because the SID is specified within the SQLPLUS command."

Thanks

RK

AIX E811SP/8.95F1/ORACLE10G - LINUX2AS/OAS10G/E811SP1/F1

Cheers,
Raj

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind

Gigi,

In my experience you cannot run the platform pack remotely to install a "database server" You must use the HP/UX platform pack and run from an X-Windows session on the HP/UX box. (If you want to run from telnet, there is a way to tell the InstallShield multi-platform installer to run in character mode but it isn't "by the book".)

I have installed 8.11 under an indentical configurations to yours - Windows Enterprise server and HP/UX Unix Database server. In each case I installed using two platform packs, one for the Enterprise server and one for the Database server. The days of "load_all" from the deployment server seem to be gone.

Raj's reponse to your most would make me question my experience but I read these words he quoted from the manual a little differently:

"Oracle treats the connection established by the PeopleSoft EnterpriseOne Platform Pack Installer as a remote
connection because the SID is specified within the SQLPLUS command."

I believe they are really saying that despite running locally you may have trouble as Oracle will treat the local installer as a remote connection.

I know that using the Unix platform pack will work for you. If you want the official answer I suggest logging a call with support. If you do log a call I would be interested to know what the official response is.

Regards,

Justin is right - this is the way to do it. The beef I have with the platform pack, however, is that it assumes root access to the UNIX server. In an environment such as mine, there all these little silo's and the UNIX "gurus" don't want you logging in to their box with root to perform an install. To make matters worse, little things like putting a menu in the .profile for the Oracle user can hang the installer. LDAP also throws thigns for a loop in certain configurations. The Oracle DBA wants to be in charge of the database install including object loads from the java installer. Of course that means you could have three groups vying for control of the install. This just slows the entire process down. What a pain - it used to be so much easier...

> What a pain - it used to be so much easier...

and it was so much faster too [sigh] - in my estimate, the overall installation time has increased in E811 in approximately 3-5 times. Mostly because of these wonderful brand-new high-tech Java installers...

Considering the java program extracts the obfuscated SQL scripts and database dump files before executing the install, I can understand why it takes a lot more time. There should at least be a secondary option for "experts install". I'm not claiming to be an expert, its just that it is supposed to be easier, yet the tiniest twig in the road can bend your rim. I guess someone with more energy than I have could take a look at the db dumps and SQL scripts to see if this can be done.

It gets "better". Say you simply want to update the Tools Release from 8.95_H1 to 8.95_I1. You are required to run the java installer as root (once again). So they have this document which shows you how to run the WebSphere server as a non-root user. Same goes for IBM HTTP Server. Why then the set requirement for root to update the Tools? It isn't the same thing as an IBM Fixpack, is it? I think I'm going to call this in and ask for an explanation and/or a fix if possible. I suppose an alternative would be to set uid on the jar file or simply move the flippin' HTML server to Windows.

Back