Serial numbers with work orders

mgerritt

Well Known Member
We put a serial number on each and every device we make. We prefer use ONE work order to make multiples of a given device. EG, make 25 of part ABC123 on WO 123456.

From what I can tell, A7.3 only allows quantity one per work order if you want to assign a serial number. You can assign multiple serial numbers when creating the WO. But you can only receipt ONE item on the WO when completing the WO.

Does anyone knwo a technique for creating a WO that allows multiple serialized items to be receipted (each with a unique SN)?

Marc,

Its been a few years and memory is rusty, but I think the restriction is that you have to record "completions" of the product one at a time. So, for example, if the WO quantity was 5 you would do four "partial" WO completions of 1 each, before doing a "full" WO completion for the last (fifth) item. Full and partial completions are set by processing options with the completions program.

As far as serialization, I seem to remember that there were several options. One that might be relevant to your situation might be serialization within lot. In the example I'm thinking of, using your example, the WO number would be the lot #, and the serial numbers would have the form 123456-1, 123456-2, 123456-3, etc. That provides a unique number for each item, but let's you group them by production order.

That numbering scheme may not be what your company wants, but it does provide for some nice traceability.

Hope this was helpful.

Back