information on Update 8

Eastwood

Eastwood

Gurus,
Is it a must to do a full package after installing the update which would take about 4 hrs? A full package takes about 6-7 hrs in my company. Then is it a must to deploy all the ESUs on top of it? What are the other things that I must watch for.
In the past I was invoved in an update and I think the CNC never did a full package untill a week after the update. Need to give this critical info to my managers.
Thanks-

If you have four hours worth of changes, you need to build a full package. My rule of thumb is that anything above 20 objects requires a full package. In our shop, full packages are the norm, update packages the rare exception.

Buffalo NY Guru

Re: Information on Update 8

It would be great to build and deploy a full package more frequently but, if you don't have the staff, it isn't going to happen. We are lucky to get one out for each environment every quarter. We've been at it for seven years and its worked for us. I think the solutions touted by building frequent full packages are overrated.

We do not compress our packages so if a particular workstation has an issue, We can reinstall and bring it fully up-to-date in twenty minutes.

Aren't we getting a little side tracked here....After an update you guru's are saying to NOT build a full package, I can understand that after an ESU to not build a full package, but we are talking JDE and an Update (ASU). This is almost like saying to not build a full package after you upgrade.

I understand that full packages take time and yes you don't need to build one each time, but this is an update.

Just my 2 cents.

Let me add my two cents.........................After a Upgrade you build a
full package and do a immediate deploy and then make sure users do testing. To
apply an update to any environment and then not build a package deply and
test is asking for a disaster. As I said this is my two cents on it
Barb Kramarski

[ QUOTE ]
Aren't we getting a little side tracked here....After an update you guru's are saying to NOT build a full package, I can understand that after an ESU to not build a full package, but we are talking JDE and an Update (ASU). This is almost like saying to not build a full package after you upgrade.

I understand that full packages take time and yes you don't need to build one each time, but this is an update.

Just my 2 cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cleo,

You are correct in your statement. My original post was during the very early morning and I did not pick up on the fact that we were talking about an Update. Updates can and usually do have hundreds, if not thousands of code changes. They role up oodles of ESUs. They ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, TAKE IT TO THE BANK, require a full package. They also require rigorous testing before you apply the Update to your production code. Lots and lots of objects get modified in an update. They need to be taken very seriously. {unless you were the poster yesterday who upgrades their system without a backup, sorry, couldn't help myself on that on.....)

Buffalo NY CNC Guru

No need to apologize. ESU's (Electronic Software Updates) are updates. One response mentioned doing a full package when 20 objects have changed. They certainly weren't talking about an ASU (Appplication Software Update).

I apologize. After re-reading the first message in this thread, I realized that the person really was talking about applying an ASU (a cumulative package of many ESU's). Yes, you should build a full package after applying an ASU. The later comment about 20 objects threw me off and I took it even further away from the original topic with my own comments.

Ditto
wink.gif

Back