Approval e-mail and port 25

SULLY1

VIP Member
Our operations department block port 25 on Monday causing approval e-mail not to work. They did this because it was causing a problem with another application, I think or it could be security measure. They ask for a list of machine names of the users using this function and sent out a new policy. Well after thinking about it, I realized the it's the originator (user that causes the e-mail action) that needs port 25 unblock. This could potentially effect all creator of requisitions of purchase orders and anyone in the approval path even though they are not using the e-mail approval functionality.

I'm now being asked what's the name of the executable that sends the e-mail and they could create a policy for that instead of machine name. Does anyone know the name of the executable? Thanks in advance for your help.

Patty

Patty,

I believe that CWRKFLOW.dll contains the routine that sends the email though I am not certain.

You may like to get your IT section to open and monitor the port when a workflow email is sent to determine the information they require.

I hope this helps.

Peter

Thanks for your reply. The operations folk have given my a tool to find out. It's called Tcpview.exe. I'll let you know what I find out.

Patty

The blocking of port 25 happens with the virus scanner McAfee 8.0. To fix the problem we added oexplore.exe to the exception list in the SMTP blocking policy and enabled it.

Patty

Patty,

Thanks for the update. We use McAfee V8 and haven't had a problem - yet. Maybe our IT section have already made that fix for us. However, ever since we upgraded the fat clients to Windows Xp we have been getting a number of Windows Security Alert - Blocked program errors and of course the users do not have admin access to their desktops so they can't unblock anything. So we have to contact the IT guys/gals to fix it and hope that it hasn't caused any corruption that cannot be fixed - it hasn't - yet.

Back