Has anyone moved to Oracle's Fusion Middleware, Yet?

andyklee

Reputable Poster
Has anyone moved to Oracle\'s Fusion Middleware, Yet?

Not to conFuse anyone, but Oracle announced back in September that they have certified their Fusion Middleware with JD Edwards EnterpriseOne. According to Oracle's press release: "Completion of the JD Edwards certification enables organizations to use components of Oracle Fusion Middleware software such as Oracle Containers for J2EE, Oracle BPEL Process Manager, Oracle Identity Management and Oracle Portal, to support their entire enterprise including business applications, custom applications and standards-compliant enterprise services." I'm sure most of us view going to Fusion Middleware as a first step on the road to Fusion apps. Has anyone done this yet, and could you share a few details about the benefits and the pain points?

Andy

Re: Has anyone moved to Oracle\'s Fusion Middleware, Yet?

The best way not to conFuse is to not "buy" and promote their marketing/branding strategies and desire to sell you additional licenses while figuring out what to do with the business applications from 3 companies...

At least not to "buy" the noise and hype at face value and not to take them for more than they are -- marketing strategies. Use them as you see fit, for example if you get them to replace your IBM/TechFoundation licenses with "like-for-like" licenses for the equivalent Oracle products for free. I doubt you would succeed, but it is worth trying.

Fusion Middleware is nothing more than a new branding name for the existing products: database, application server, portal and other related tools (OID for example) and selling them to the JDE/Peoplesoft customer base, which was once forced or scared into buying IBM's equivalent WebSphere, WebSphere Portal, DB2, Domino, etc. via manatory packaging like Technology Foundation. For us, JDE customers, it is just another fear of "exclusivity" to influence your choice of platforms, when making your next investment and future-proofing against being obsolete. There is no need or benefits to rush, unless they make attractive licensing packages or offers.

As their database market was more "settled," the real push is pretty much for the app server family, which was once a minor player and now they are trying to place into the foreground and gain market share among the big boys.

In the JDE world, in 8.95, you can run OC4J and we have tested it. We tried a test of the Portal as well. Your run-time WebDev mini-JAS comes with a free OC4J option as well. It all works fine, nothing more to write home about.
In general, in OAS, things are simpler to set up (but less robust and less advanced) than in the WebSphere world. OC4J is still tied to an Apache 1.3 listener, which is almost comical. In a real J2EE "open standards" world, it shouldn't matter what Java containers you use.

If you want to try 8.95 and OC4J in production, there is still no easy/seamless transition for you from WebSphere, since the java version for JAS on OC4J is 14 but they keep holding the JAS certification for WebSphere at 5.02 (Java13). So you have to do your java Gen either for one or for the other, if you want to keep one set of tables...

The rest is more rebranding -- the WebMethods OEM tools, including the broker and XPI are now called WebServices Gateway, but I think it is the same thing, I am not sure.

That's all I have for you... Sorry for the skepticism, but the schemes are transparent. There is no Fusion business apps yet, but you can buy their other licenses while you wait...
Sorry for the long post, I had to vent...

My 2 cents.

Re: Has anyone moved to Oracle\'s Fusion Middleware, Yet?

You're so right on the $$$.

Remember when JDE aquired Youcentrix and Numeric and then called the result JDEdwards 5? ........but the ERP product in JDEdwards 5 was called ERP 8.0?

History has a tendancey of repeating itself.

Back