Full Package Build Hangs Following XE Update 1

Larry_Jones

Larry_Jones

Legendary Poster
Need your help again Gang.

Last weekend we installed XE Update 1 on top of SP13. The pre-Requisite SP 13-OMW was installed before the Update (as was the other pre-requsite ESU called out in the install instructions).

After the Update we've been trying to build a full package (Client and Server) with no success. Before Update 1 we've been successful in building packages.

Whats happening is that the BUSBUILD process just seems to hang waiting on DB I-O. The BuildLog.txt for BusBuild shows the following:
=========================================================
BUILD LOG

Package: PY7333FB

Date: Fri Mar 30 08:19:23 2001
Build Machine: DEFIANT

Path Code: PY7333

Source Path: \\DEFIANT\B7333\PY7333\package\PY7333FB

Foundation Path: \\DEFIANT\B7333\system

Destination Path: \\DEFIANT\B7333\PY7333\package\PY7333FB

Generating source for NER and TER...

=======================================================
and never gets past this point. No files are being generated on the deployment server, in fact there is 0 activity on the deployment server. As soon as the build process starts, an Oracle process on our UNIX E server goes wild using up near 100% of one of the processors but no disk I-O. This stays this way until we lose patience and kill everything (have waited as long as 12 hours to see if it would do anything). It appears from what we can tell that it is executing a query against obj7333.f9860 (Object Librarian master) but the query never completes / sends results to the deployment server. F9860 and its indices have been verified to be in good shape.

We're going to try the debug log approach on the deployment server to see if it will show anything - but we're not too optimistic. Am hoping somebody out there has seen this before and can give us a clue.

TIA,

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld B733.1, SP 11.3
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6
SandBox: OneWorld XE

Larry

you are scaring me. I'm in the process of applying update 1 as we speak. Applied 1 off and applied the first of 2 ESU's. Went OK.

Then I tried to apply the second of 2 ESUs. Server pakcage would not build.

Tested a business function build on the server. Builds fine.

Any words of warning from your experience ?

J
Ent: Windows NT4.0 sp6
dep: Windows NT4.0 sp6
MSQL 7.0 sp3
OneWorld XE sp13+10ff

Larry,

We are having similar problems on our Xe installation (Test Ring) We
solved the problem by adding the WaitForBusBuild=Y line in [INSTALL]
section of JDE.ini.

Hope this helps.

Tom Davidson
Test Ring OW Xe AS/400 V4R5, CO Sql 7.0

Whats happening is that the BUSBUILD process just seems to hang waiting on
DB I-O. The BuildLog.txt for BusBuild shows the following:
=========================================================
BUILD LOG

Package: PY7333FB

Date: Fri Mar 30 08:19:23 2001
Build Machine: DEFIANT

Path Code: PY7333

Source Path: \\DEFIANT\B7333\PY7333\package\PY7333FB

Foundation Path: \\DEFIANT\B7333\system

Destination Path: \\DEFIANT\B7333\PY7333\package\PY7333FB

Generating source for NER and TER...

=======================================================
and never gets past this point.

OW 7332 SP 11.3VER, NT 4.0 SP 5, TSE 4.0 SP 4, Metrframe 1.8, CO SQL 7.0

Tom, thanks for the tip. However before we tried your suggestion we tried another approach that worked as detailed below.

Debug showed what we'd suspected, BusBuild was stopping immediately after sending a very large SELECT statement with over 2300 characters in the WHERE clause. Oracle was looping trying to process the SELECT.

We had not yet applied any Oracle patches to our 8.1.6 level. Checking those turned up a problem dealing with overly complex queries that could be addressed either by applying a patch or setting an Oracle Parameter. For the quick fix we applied the parameter setting and BusBuild went forward! This weekend we will be applying 8.1.6.3 to more permanently address this issue. FYI for you other Oracle 8i sites I believe JDE implemented their own work-around in Service Packs 14.x and higher.

We're now rebuilding the Full Package and hope to see it work this time!

Thanks again,

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld B733.1, SP 11.3
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6
SandBox: OneWorld XE

Back