Websphere Update

Ricardo Paz

Reputable Poster
Hi list... I've been looking for a WebSphere Upgrade documentation, but without success. We're planning to upgrade from Websphere 4.0 to 5.0.2.
Some one adviced me to FORMAT the server and install it from the begining witn the new version.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

thank's in advanced.

Ricardo Paz
E1 8.9 TR8.93, Windows 2000 SP4, MSSQL 2000 SP3, WebSphere 4.0

I'm not sure why someone would tell you that you need to reformat your server. Unless, you have issues with the uninstall of the previous version of WAS. If you must reinstall the server from scratch, just make sure it adheres the the MTRs for a web server.

I think you'll find it much easier and more stable in the long run to NOT upgrade WAS and to just install the new version from scratch.

Just my $0.02.

Dan

Ricardo, we also went from WAS 4 to WAS 5.0.2. Dan is right. The best thing to do is not to upgrade, but to wipe out and start again with Win 2003 Server since Win 2000 Server is no longer supported according to JDE. That way, if you run into problems, at least JDE will support you if you're running Win 2003 Server.

A few months ago we upgraded our (win2k) test web server from 4.0 to 5.0.2. We were going to remove 4.0 completely and then install 5.0.2

But we ended up having to format (well, load a clean image of the server again) because we had strange errors during the 5.0.2 installs... Certain points in the installation procedure where the installer would just not continue, or where parts of the installation just weren't copied to the hard drive. We are still not sure what caused this (maybe some old java pieces left-over by 4.0?) but after 2 weeks of repeatedly trying to install 5.0.2 without a format, we formated the box, made it meet software MTR and then 5.0.2 installed on first try.

I didn't know win2k wasn't supported for 5.0.2 but it's working like a charm right now...

Thank's for your comments, I can see now the best thing is going from win2000 to win2003 this means format and reinstall Windows and WAS5.02

Greetings
rpazc

Back