How Critical is the PSFT User Windows Password on New Install?

jde_cnc

Interesting problem here. My client is doing a new install of 8.10 on new hardware. Previously, the old JDE/JDE Windows user ID for their 8.0 install was not a problem, but now their global Active Directory policy prohibits passwords of this length and simplicity for the new PSFT/PSFT credentials. I know that the install process will use PSFT/PSFT on all the default database structures, etc--but how critical is it that the PSFT password is initially PSFT on the Deployment Server, etc? Thanks in advance.

8.10, Windows 2003 Server, SQL 2000 Enterprise

Hi,

You don't need your Windows PSFT password to be PSFT.
It's just the PSFT database password that could be
a problem to you.

Exactly as I figured. The policy is not a problem on the DB side, only the AD side. Thanks for the quick response.

In the past, while doing DB2/UDB-based installs (which uses native OS users/passwords), I have had people create a new OU in AD with less restrictive password length policies, place the E1 servers in this OU temporarily during the install and then remove them after install, delete the OU, change the password.

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting problem here. My client is doing a new install of 8.10 on new hardware. Previously, the old JDE/JDE Windows user ID for their 8.0 install was not a problem, but now their global Active Directory policy prohibits passwords of this length and simplicity for the new PSFT/PSFT credentials. I know that the install process will use PSFT/PSFT on all the default database structures, etc--but how critical is it that the PSFT password is initially PSFT on the Deployment Server, etc? Thanks in advance.

8.10, Windows 2003 Server, SQL 2000 Enterprise

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a possibility that I've considered. However, if I can get away with simply following the existing policy without adverse affects, it works well enough for this install. Thanks again.

Just use a local account instead of a domain account and worry about the problem later when you actually want/need to change the password.

Back