Enterprise vs. Standard Edition of SQL Server for PeopleSoft EnterpriseOne 8.10

Jenny

We are running PeopleSoft EnterpriseOne 8.10, Financials and Procurement module on Win2000 server/SQL2000 Standard Edition. The server have 2 CPUs and 3.2Gig RAM. We are also running Batches in the same server.
We support 80 users in Finance and 20 in Procurement. Around 50 users they are using the system only to view data’s.

We are thinking to buy SQL enterprise edition but the price is much more expensively than MS SQL Server Standard Edition.

I know enterprise edition make some change in performance. Other than that is there any advantage to upgrade the system to enterprise edition? Is anyone of you out there in same situation?
Thanks for your help with this in advance. I really appreciate any assistance that could be given.

Open perfmon on your SQL server. Add a counter for SQL Server:Memory Manager. Note that the value will say something like 1683465 which is 1.6G. SQL Standard Edition will only allow you to use 2G of RAM. Enterprise Edition will allow you to address up to 64 G.

Having said that, I see that you are running E1 enterprise server on the same box. This will consume roughly 1-2G depending on how many call object kernels and how many UBE queues you have set up. Since you have SQL Server taking 1.6G and E1 taking probably around 1.5G and Windows taking around 768MB I would say that you have a memory-bound server that is probably not performing well. Going to SQL Server Enterprise will not fix this as doing so will only allow SQL Server to try to take memory that is not available.

I would do two things:

1- Buy another server with 4G RAM, buy and install SQL Enterprise, enable it to use 3G of memory.
2- Leave your old server to run only E1.

If your budget does not allow you to do these items and you must stay on a single server there is no need to buy SQL Enterprise as you do not have the available physical memory to give to it.

I have attached a memory matrix for Windows and SQL editions that will give you an idea of the possible memory configurations.

[ QUOTE ]
We are running PeopleSoft EnterpriseOne 8.10, Financials and Procurement module on Win2000 server/SQL2000 Standard Edition. The server have 2 CPUs and 3.2Gig RAM. We are also running Batches in the same server.
We support 80 users in Finance and 20 in Procurement. Around 50 users they are using the system only to view data’s.

We are thinking to buy SQL enterprise edition but the price is much more expensively than MS SQL Server Standard Edition.

I know enterprise edition make some change in performance. Other than that is there any advantage to upgrade the system to enterprise edition? Is anyone of you out there in same situation?
Thanks for your help with this in advance. I really appreciate any assistance that could be given.

[/ QUOTE ]

Attachments

• 98695-Windows SQL Memory Matrix.doc
    25.5 KB · Views: 101
Thank you very much for your mail. Sure this will help to make decision. Any ideas are also welcome.

Back