Automatically opening the pdf file on the web

Jaise James

Reputable Poster
Hello All,

Has any body ever tried to configure e1 in such a why that when a user submits a job and when the job finishes it automatically opens the pdf file for the user.... I am trying to look into such functionality.....

Any input or idea will be highly appreiciative....

Thanks in advance

Nick04,

For what it's worth, this exact feature was added to a list of desired enhancements at the technology SIG meeting at the Quest conference in Texas last June. If you're interested in seeing this added functionality in the base product, contact Oracle and/or Quest and let them know.

Do you know what status it's now at?

Is it still "05 - Reconsider in Future"?

It's no different than a fat client submitting to an eserver, than doesn't open automatically either.

Considering that the job could be submitted to a job queue that is either not active, or is running single threaded with hours of jobs ahead of it (on purpose), what would you want the web client to do? Poll the server with "is it done yet" messages?

Sorry, but this just doesn't make szense to me from a client-server architecture point of view. I don't see how Oracle could provide a general solution to this. Am I missing something here?

Alex,

No, I haven't followed up on the status of this, but I'm sure it will come up at the Collaborate 06 conference next month.

I completely agree. Some things just don't make any sense in a given architechture. Why would a batch job on an enterprise server push and "pop up" its output on the web client? This is the whole philosophical idea behind the difference in what is "batch" and what is "interactive" processing in all computing architechture. If you need interaction, you need to work interactive applications, not batch programs. We can ask them for hot ice too and they may try to deliver it... I think we should be careful about what we push for as customers, these requests end up messing up the product more --- there is a parallel discussion on this in the thread "Bandwidth Requirements..." Some of these "enhancements" are what made the 8.95 web client with all its megabytes of Javascripts pushed to the browser such a "pig..."

We should certainly be careful about what we ask, but the automatic opening of PDF's is a valid requirement, especially for WEB, because there's no "Local processing".

Often, the PDF needs to be opened (maybe not for every job, this may also be industry/business-specific).

On a slow WEB client, clicking your way around to find it and open it, is a bit of a pain, which can be avoided.

I was interested in this specific question, because I have developed a Java-free solution for it.

Back