XE Upgrade

ka4niv

Looks like the End-of-year ESU for 2005 will require SP23 for XE. We need some words of wisdom about upgrading from SP20 ...

* How difficult is the upgrade compared to the average ESU?
* Where can I find information on upgrading SPs?

Many Thanks!

Maurice Rice
Delta Woodside Industries

XE SP20
iSeries V5R2
Citrix Metaframe 1.8
Formscape V3

Hi Maurice.

I just install the SP23, and as I see I have a similar configuration.

The instalation of SP is very similar to the ESU instalation, requires a few steps more, and in the case of the AS/400 requires to have all user out, so be carefull whith that.

If you have a AS/400 enterprice server whith a windows based deployment server, You must download the SP23 for AS/400 and the SP23 Client.

First you have to install the client on the deployment server and then you can install the AS/400. The instalation guide is on de KG.

Good luck!

Maurice,

I can't tell you much about the ESU, but the service pack upgrade is no big deal. Especially since you (at least according to your signature) are not using the web client. The documentation for installing the service pack comes along with the SP download.

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

Since you are a AS/400 shop. I would suggest cleaning up your Full packages
and compressing the latest one you have built prior to applying the SP. This
will save you time when you have to relink Business functions.
Barb Kramarski

Maurice,

Since you are going from SP 20 to SP23...make sure you apply and follow the steps for th ESU related to the database encryption change , espcially if you plan to use Multiple foundations when installing the new SP.

All the details are given in the SP 23 installation guide

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like the End-of-year ESU for 2005 will require SP23 for XE. We need some words of wisdom about upgrading from SP20 ...

[/ QUOTE ]

have you verified this with Oracle? I recall that last year we needed to get XPI, which had a SP22 or SP23 pre-req, but it turned out that for the portion of XPI we were using, the SP upgrade wasn't required.

Hi Barb ...

Our Full packages are in pretty good shape at the moment. However, I am not familiar with compressing packages. Please enlighten me.

[ QUOTE ]
have you verified this with Oracle?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going by the system requirements web page for the 2005 year end update. You are right, tho, it would be a good idea to verify that with a real person.

I have opened a case# -- will post the results for the community.

Sorry about the not text thing.......here is the response I got from
support.....

"To answer your question assuming you are running XE you do need to apply SP
23 before taking the ESUs. The W-2 ESU will be available in November and
the 1099s ESU in December. The link below, which is accessed through
Customer Connection, contains all the information regarding the Year End
Updates. The information above is in the System Requirements Section.
Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Year End Updates E1
Information
http://www.peoplesoft.com/corp/en/support/roadmap/yearend/entone/index.jsp"

Re: RE: XE Upgrade

Joy

I put in a call to support for this very same issue a month or so ago. We only download the 1099 ESU. I was told SP23 was not needed if I was not downloading the W-2 ESU.

Patty

Thanks Joy ...

Here is the reply I got from JDe support regarding SP23:

"The reason that we stated SP23 as a requirement is because our coding was done using the latest Service Pack which is SP23. You should not encounter any problems if you stay on SP20, however should you encounter tools issues then we will suggest that you move up to SP23."

I think we will attempt to load the Y/E ESU on SP20 and save SP23 for when we aren't in a rush to do it. Will be sure to allow plenty of time for testing. If it blows up, will go to SP23.

Thanks for all the help!

(OK, lets try this again -- entered the post once, didnt show. Entered again and both showed. tried to delete the 1st post, and they both went away -- just one of those days, I guess!)

Anyhow ... Here is the reply I received from JDE Support:

"The reason that we stated SP23 as a requirement is because our coding was done using the latest Service Pack which is SP23. You should not encounter any problems if you stay on SP20, however should you encounter tools issues then we will suggest that you move up to SP23."

I am gonna try to talk the powers that be into going with SP20 and keeping fingers crossed. Thanks to everyone for the responses.

I checked with JDEdwards Support and Please find below their response. Technically it should work with service pack below 23, but they are testing it only on service pack 23, hence there is part of MTR. Just wondering are all people below service pack 23 are planning to upgrade to 23?

Regarding testing, if we upgrade to service pack 23, I am planning to perform very simple testing (e.g. logging, submitting UBE, using P0092 to modify couple of records). Is it sufficent? Any suggestions are welcome?

Response from JDEdwards Support.
Solution details
Summary : MTR for Xe and 1099 Processing

Details: PROBLEM:
Is there a minimum technical requirement for Xe 1099 Processing?

RESOLUTION:
SP23 is the latest service pack for Xe. Technically our 1099s will process on previous service packs. It is encouraged that customers get on the latest SP for stability and fixes from a tools perspective. This is where GSC will test.

you should encourage your CNC group to look into the SP upgrade at some point, as there WILL be a point where you'll have to be current, and as others have suggested, the SP20 - SP23 upgrade involves a change to security that can be tricky - it's not an upgrade you want to do under pressure.

In my own case, I'm still SP20, but have SP22W1 in multi-foundation, 99% tested, and ready to move into production should I be in a must-upgrade situation.

[ QUOTE ]
you should encourage your CNC group

[/ QUOTE ]

I am the CNC "group", as well as the development staff, operations staff, help desk, EDI Coordinator, ad nauseum. We are an IT shop of two persons, and the other guy does only Microsoft.

[ QUOTE ]
there WILL be a point where you'll have to be current, and as others have suggested, the SP20 - SP23 upgrade involves a change to security that can be tricky - it's not an upgrade you want to do under pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes we will eventually go to SP23 - when we have time to plan it properly. Thanks for the warning about the security change.

[ QUOTE ]
In my own case, I'm still SP20, but have SP22W1 in multi-foundation, 99% tested, and ready to move into production should I be in a must-upgrade situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Multi-foundation is a good idea. Will look into that.

Back