Anyone running 8.11 SP1 w/WebSphere (any platform)?

cmanderson

VIP Member
Not just 8.11 SP1 Standalone, but the full installation, Deployment Server and all. Just curious. Seems the steps which *used* to work for a WebSphere application server can't be taken for granted. I've done this with 8.9 and 8.11 pre-SP1, now it seems the HTML server is a chore to install.
Maybe the new Java installer is missing some files as Alex mentioned in another post.

Funny thing is, the developer client works like a charm, WebSphere Express was a piece of cake once the instructions were actually followed.

confused.gif

I am running 8.11 SP1 with WebSphere running on I-Series and on Intel.

We are in the process of loading it. The JAS piece seems straightforward. I think installing all the fixpacks for Websphere takes some time downloading and applying. Now they have just updated their documentation. WebSphere 5.0.2.9 and 5.0.2.6 Enterprise are now supported. Initially we tried 5.0.2.13 and couldn't get it to work.

Grant

Apparently there is a memory leak in the 5.0.2.13 cum fix, they say to wait until November or apply a one-off. We've been using 5.0.2.13 in our 8.9 instance for a little while now, good thing it is hardly used (just customer self service and very little of it at that!)

Yeah, the installer is straightforward all right...the docs are a bit off but of course I always seem to have issues with "straight forward" stuff. It is the obscure stuff that I seem to have more success with....hmmm.

[ QUOTE ]
... I think installing all the fixpacks for Websphere takes some time downloading and applying. Now they have just updated their documentation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going through that aggrivation right now myself. The fixpacks are persnickity to install. Thanks for the update, I'll try the ones that you suggested.

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

I have found that the best combination is using Cume 6 with the plugins for 5.0.2.9. That has resulted in the best installations for me since XE. Any other cume fix has resulted in the installation failing.

One other thing to mention - I never install the CUME to PME. Just to Base. So you will have Base and PME and 5.0.2 and Base will further be updated to 5.0.2.6 by the application of the CUME fix. The plugin fix will essentially move the plugin level to 5.0.2.9 for performance reasons.

These rules above only hold true for the Intel install. PTF's move the I-Series to different levels and I have had no issues with the higher level cumes on I-Series.

Hell yes they are, and I've never used this word in my life but here goes, persnickity to install. Whoever designed the update installer needs a spanking.

Totally agree.

Try Oracle AS - easy to install, seems to work faster too...

>>Try Oracle AS - easy to install, seems to work faster

With Oracle, is this a separate $$ purchase? With our current tech foundation, all we got was the Websphere CDs.

Grant.

Yes, that's true.

I wonder if there are many around, who did take this "red stack" path already?

Oracle may yet turn around and offer a free license-4-license replacement: who would keep helping their competition to continue spiriting customers away?

In fact, if you asked, you may have found them amenable even now, I guess...

Gang,

I've had a few off-line emails with one of our famous listers (who has not chimed in on this thread). His suggestion was to hold off on Websphere 5 and wait until Oracle announces support for Websphere 6. That unfortunately is not an option for me, but may be something for others to mull over.

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

Makes sense considering the end of support date for 5.0, but for customers who are building new installations, choices are a bit more limited.

Alex, did you apply the required patches for OAS 10g as listed on the Customer Connection? I noticed you can download from eDelivery but they likely require a connection to MetaLink for the required patches, no? I could talk to one of our DBA's about this, they like to keep clamps on the MetaLink account password.

Perhaps it is just luck, but it seems the Nerd Gods are smiling on me today. Reinstalled everything from scratched, like the 5th time, and it works. Doesn't make any sense but I'll take it.

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps it is just luck, but it seems the Nerd Gods are smiling on me today...

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you'll need to make an offering of a smoldering hard drive on the alter of Skippy the Geek God in thanks.
laugh.gif

Back