FINE CUT menus

acm

I was told that if I implemented FINE CUT on one menu for one role, this implementation would be manifested for this role in all environments available to this role. But I am noticing that this is not the case. I have 3 environments and I have FINE CUT 2 menus for a role. There is one specific environment in which I can still see the menus.

Please, I am sure I am missing something trivial. Could anybody help me?

Thanks in advance for your time.

If, after doing the fine cut, you click the SAVE *button* it will go across all environments. If you right-click the tasks list and select Save Role, it will be environment specific.

Email me a beer and we'll call it even.

[ QUOTE ]
I was told that if I implemented FINE CUT on one menu for one role, this implementation would be manifested for this role in all environments available to this role. But I am noticing that this is not the case. I have 3 environments and I have FINE CUT 2 menus for a role. There is one specific environment in which I can still see the menus.

Please, I am sure I am missing something trivial. Could anybody help me?

Thanks in advance for your time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff,

I think you may be incorrect on that one. Fine Cuts are associated with the 9000 series tables. Those tables are part of business data. So that means that menus and fine cuts need to be promoted across environments. If you are in XE, you use the Record Copy utility in the Content Development Task view to copy the menus and Task Views. If you are in 8.10 or 8.11, I believe that you can use OMW, but I'm not positive about that factoid.

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

So does this mean I shouldn't look forward to my beer?

[ QUOTE ]
Jeff,

I think you may be incorrect on that one. Fine Cuts are associated with the 9000 series tables. Those tables are part of business data. So that means that menus and fine cuts need to be promoted across environments. If you are in XE, you use the Record Copy utility in the Content Development Task view to copy the menus and Task Views. If you are in 8.10 or 8.11, I believe that you can use OMW, but I'm not positive about that factoid.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you very much to both of you. Yes I am aware of the F9000 tables being the ones involved and those are business specific. Actually with the following query you can confirm the Menus that are FINE CUT for a given environment.

SELECT R.TMLNGTASK, RR.TMLNGTASK
FROM CTL.F9006 L INNER JOIN CTL.F9000 R ON L.TDPARNTTSK = R.TMTASKID
INNER JOIN CTL.F9000 RR ON L.TDCHILDTSK = RR.TMTASKID
WHERE L.TDVARNAME = 'MyRole"
ORDER BY R.TMLNGTASK

If I ever understand what is going on I shall post it in this thread.

I think I may have a solution for the FINE CUTs to "propagate" to the other environments.

If you go to Object Configuration Manager - [Work With Object Mappings] for all environments the Primary Data Source for the Control Tables should come from one single environment ... the one on which you were logged on while you made the FINE CUT.

So in essence it looks to me that the application will grab the information from the Control Tables for each environment that the session is connected on, based on the information in the Object Configuration Manager.

Therefore, for FINE CUT menus to appear across all environments, the Control Tables have to come from a single environment.

This will explain why F9000, F9001 and F9006 are environment specific. If we do not share the Control Tables then we have to do the FINE CUT for all the environments.

Does this make some sense at all?

No I need to try implementing this without destroying anything else.

ACM,

You wouldn't want all of your control tables to come from one environment. That would be a mess. That means that if you updated a next number table in PY7333, it would update the table in PD7333 leaving a gap. Your auditors would flip. The other reason why you wouldn't want to have your menus and fine cuts cut across all environments is that would not allow you to build and test menus and roles in PY prior to implimenting them in Production. As a practice, if I have major menu surgery to do, I start in DV7333 and then promote the menus and FineCuts up the chain to PD. If I have a minor revision, I go the other direction. I make the change in PD and then push everything back down to PY and Dev.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.

Back