How many users per physical web server E18.10 / Tools8.94P1

BrianM

We are trying to stress our systems to prepare for an end of year go live. We are only able to support 50-60 users per web server. Does this seem to be a realistic expectation? We originally thought the number should be higher.

It depends entirely on the hardware, tuning, applications being used by those users, etc. If you have a ton of heads down customer service reps entering sales orders, it would be lower than if you had a lot of frequently inactive users.

Perhaps you should post your hardware config and the WebSphere config from each of your servers. It would give someone an idea of whether or not this is to be expected or if a performance tuning expert/consultant should be looking at your system.

How many CPU's?

How many instances of JAS are you running?

I forget the actual numbers but I seem to recall that post-SP21 you should be able to get ~200 users per JVM. If you have a 4 CPU box and 1 JVM/CPU you can get ~800 users. If you then architect a system that has a couple of 4x CPU boxes and use HTTP and WAS load balancing you can scale it up to multiple thousands of users.

Also, where are you running the JAS business functions? Is your enterprise server a combination of UBE/BSFN and database server?

[ QUOTE ]
We are trying to stress our systems to prepare for an end of year go live. We are only able to support 50-60 users per web server. Does this seem to be a realistic expectation? We originally thought the number should be higher.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Brian,

May you please describe us your Web server? RAM? CPU?
OS? Is it a cluster? What are you using? IBM HTTP
Server? MS IIS? Apache?

Just to jump on the band wagon we are in the same situation. Looking to cut over at the end of the year and we see the same user limit. We get 60 - 70 users on (but actually some of the slowness we see even with only 10 - 20) and from the client perspective things are slow. Example if the user is switching from one open application to another it take between 30 - 120 seconds for the screen to refresh, another 30 - 120 seconds when switching back.

The servers are all pretty quiet (never over 35% utilization) the network traffic is low the only CPU pegging is the one on the client. Our hardware is as follows

Enterprise Server
AS/400-570 V5R3
6000 CPW
24 GIG Ram
1 TB Storage

Web Server
Dual 3 Ghz CPUs
4 GIG Ram
280 GIG Drives - Raid 5 w/a hot spare
3 Intel Pro 1000
Win 2003 Server
Web Sphere 5.1

Deployment Server
Dual 3 Ghz CPUs
2 GIG Ram
360 GIG Drives - Raid 5 w/a hot spare
2 Intel Proo 1000
Win 2003 Server

Client
2.8 Ghz P4
512 Meg Ram
XP PRO SP2
IE 6.0 SP2

What does the CPU utilization look like on the Clients? - currently, each JDE page contains about 200 - 500 kB of Javascript (counting included files), so a lot of processing is done locally...

For the time it takes to change apps (30 -120 seconds) the client CPU pegs at 100%. We did this with only one user on and while the client CPU was at 100% for about 80 seconds the Web server and AS/400 where dead quiet. Not even a blip on the monitor.

Its in my first post,

They are 3 GHz Pentium 4
Half Gig of Ram
40 Gig Drives
XP Pro SP2
IE 6.0 SP2
128 Meg Video Card

or as the users tell us its one of the black ones not the cream color one, of course then they ask way they have a monitor and the other guy has a flat panel but that's another problem.

[ QUOTE ]

or as the users tell us its one of the black ones not the cream color one, of course then they ask way they have a monitor and the other guy has a flat panel but that's another problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL I feel you man.

Try to defrag the clients. I have notice a huge preformance gain with some fat clients after 1000000000000000s of update packages. I know you are talking web clients, but as mentioned earlier, there is some processing on the client itself.

Also check the usual, realtime virus scaning, as well as system restore option.

Also don't count out the network. You are running an AS/400 make sure ALL duplexing is running the same.

One of my clients is consistantly getting to near sub second response time between screens for ~5 concurnet users(I know, big deal, but they are happy, and this IS an AS/400)

Performance should be adequate once the current workstations are replaced with new VaporWare 4000's, loaded with 12GHz processors, 32GB RAM and dual 10 gig Ethernet interfaces.

[ QUOTE ]
Performance should be adequate once the current workstations are replaced with new VaporWare 4000's, loaded with 12GHz processors, 32GB RAM and dual 10 gig Ethernet interfaces.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, that sounds cool! I gotta go out to geeks-R-US tonight and get me one of them! do they come in black with the high def 64inch flat panel?
grin.gif

The WEB solution, which was originally marketed as a "Thin Client", capable of running on Win95/I386-66MHz, now seems to require quad-4GHz Zeon servers on desktops...

You can try different browsers, play with the Interactivity level, etc.

Back