Backup Site

anan

HI all
I have Xe installed on win2k and MS sql server. the client has 2 buildings connected via wireless. One of the buildings has all the servers and all the braches in the whole world connected to it. The client want to make a backup and mirror site in the other building that is if the first site comes down the other site should be up. So what do you think is the good solution for that?. Keep in mind that we want to make the 2 sql servers in the both building to be updated daily and automatically.

Anan,

That is very doable. You will want to upgrade the SQL server to a Cluster. Split the cluster between the two buildings. If you are using terminal servers and a citrix farm, put half of your terminal servers in the other building. Put in a dedicated lan (not wireless) between the two buildings. You don't want to have your data floating out there over the airwaves. In our case, our cluster is attached to a SAN. There is a duplicate SAN in the Disaster Recovery building. There is real-time replication occuring between the SANs. The other pieces that you will need is duplicated WAN connections (in case the primary building's power goes down), and a generator and UPSs for both buildings (to keep you going during a power outage.) The UPS should be sized to keep your system running for ten or fifteen minutes. During that time frame, your generator should kick in to keep you going if it is a prolonged power outage.

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

I have already an old type of cluster wich all the 2 nodes and the storage are in the same machine. my question is: is there any way to add a new Database server to our system and keep it updating from the old one automaically. or we should updating it manually.

Back