Machine information: Not updating Package Name or Package Update Name

Crazy_About_JDE

Crazy_About_JDE

Well Known Member
Hello, list! After successfully deploying a client package (full or update), I expect the machine information application to show updated information for [Package Name] and [Package Update Name] -- but some records are not current.

Has anyone else experienced this? What can I do to fix it?

The application is at Tools > Package and Deployment Tools > Machine Identification - P9654A

-Tim

This is a known issue with the earlier service packs. I see you are on 15.1. The latest is 23. You've let yourself get a bit behind.

Touché! Ray, thank you for writing. I'm determined to install SP23 this fall unless we finish implementing ERP 8.0 first.

A similar/related problem that I should have posted previously: Sometimes I'll deploy a package to multiple users, but only some of them are prompted to install. Is that also fixed in a service pack?

It's been a long time since we dealt with this issue, Tim. I don't remember users not getting prompted for the install but I do remember vividly the installs frequently failing to install with no indication that they had failed.

P.S. I hope you are implementing ERP 8.0 with SP23.

Tim,

We experience the same problem on some of our fat clients when doing a full package install (which we do usually quarterly). The old full package name on the machine record doesn't update with the new full package name. This makes it difficult to report on this to see which clients have and have not been updated. Note our Tools Release version, 8.93L1, which is about 1 to 1-1/2 years old, and we STILL have this problem!

Don

Isn't the last package info stored in the registry on the pc? Could it be an Admin rights issue? I've experienced this when the user doesn't have local admin rights (or power user rights with registry update access). Just a thought.

Patty

Patty,

We've always had partial success with this field filling in on the Machine master record, but it DOES indeed get set in (probably) most cases. It's the exceptions that make it so frustrating to deal with.

I checked my registry today and it has base package info stored there, along with spots to store the last update package info. Our domain users are all local administrators on their PC's, so I don't think that's the problem. However, I've never been able to figure out what exactly is causing it not to update in those few cases.

Thanks for the suggestion.

By the way, there's been lots of talk lately about JDEList losing its appeal. I'm glad that people like you are still taking time to reply to posts, offering thoughts and suggestions.

One thing that might spark renewed interest is to have a forum in which people can post information about programs or reports that they are working on to solve business problems. What do you think?

It would be a real shame if people stopped visiting the site and/or responding to messages from the list. I agree with you 100%. Too bad I'm leaving CNC behind in a few weeks.

ok - charles... where ya going? You opened the can...

If you are leaving CNC - what could you possibly be doing that is 'better'... downgrading?

(db)

OK, nothing is better than CNC. I've always wanted to run a mill or lathe, and I finally have the opportunity. Lucky me!

Actually, I'm thinking about buying a shrimpin' boat and going into business with my good friend Bubba. If that doesn't pan out, perhaps chicken farming.

Seriously, I can't say much due to an oral promise and of course you never know who is reading this stuff! I'll make a semi-official announcement when the time is appropriate. If all goes well, within the next week or two. For the time being I'll continue to post to the site and ask for help when it is needed (I really wish my question-answered to answered-question ratio were much higher...but I"m not an ingrate so I'll get while the gettin' is good!)

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I'm thinking about buying a shrimpin' boat and going into business with my good friend Bubba. If that doesn't pan out, perhaps chicken farming.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that shrimping boat thing doesn't work out, you could always go pro on the ping-pong circuit! stupid is, as stupid does. OK, enough Forest Gump-isms. Good luck on your next position.

Back